wiring harness

I have a 1990 chev. 4wd 454. My wiring harness under the hood burnt.

Will a harness from a 350 work

Reply to
pond jumper via CarKB.com

My condolences...I hope your search is easier than mine.

This is just a guess, but I'm betting the harness will be the same. Very little of it actually goes to the engine--just the wires to the alternator, starter, and to the distributor.

Of course, I don't know whether you're dealing with TBI (I assume you are) in which case you'll probably need a harness that has the same setup, computer wise.

How did it happen?

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Reply to
pond jumper via CarKB.com

Hmm...if there's any of the existing harness left, I'd try to make note of the various connectors attached to its ends. Then if you locate one it should be fairly easy to check whether it'll fit.

I don't know how similar your truck is to my Blazer (If it's a Suburban or Blazer should be real similar) but mine has a couple of harnesses coming out of the firewall. One goes from the ESC (electronic spark control) to the distributor and the other runs to the heat/AC box from the dash controls. The heater harness was fairly easy to find, but the ESC was not. I got the main engine harness from Shades here on "alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks" from an '85 Suburban he was parting out and it was identical in every way.

Is yours a pickup or Suburban? I can be on the lookout. I'm always looking for parts for mine and often run across stuff I don't need.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

See if this is similar to what you need...

(sorry, TinyURL is blocked here at work)

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

The First Phase of your project Shud be to FIX the REASON it SMOKED !

The Harness Didnot Smoke itself, Something Caused it to SMOKE

J> Hmm...if there's any of the existing harness left, I'd try to make note

Reply to
no one

True... However he said it burned. That meant an engine fire and not an electrical problem in my case. Could've been a fuel leak, he wasn't specific in his post.

Obviously it's possible, but what kind of electrical failure has to occur in order to smoke the whole harness? I'm actually asking, not mocking :-) I'm curious to know just to have it stored in my memory banks.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Reply to
pond jumper via CarKB.com

Ok...the ECM harness... What model of truck is it? Pickup, Suburban or Blazer?

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

We would know that info if Those who Reply to post would turn on "QUOTE on REPLY " in their computer software

Just like the previous poster Has it turned off and His Reply Makes No Sense !

Reply to
no one

If your newsreader doesn't display in a spanning tree format, maybe you're the problem.

NO...we would not... if you're incapable of reading through a thread of

10 total messages, then someone else's newsreader is not at fault. Your 1st grade teacher may be to blame though. If you absolutely must bitch, please email the folks at Google and tell them to add "QUOTE on REPLY" to THEIR software, as I have nothing loaded on my machine. Get off my ass.

He said, "I have a 1990 chev. 4wd 454."

That doesn't indicate whether it's a Blazer, Suburban or pickup.

If you had read all the way through, you'd notice that the OP never indicated which MODEL he is driving. This is even more annoying seeing as how you'd already chimed in once in this thread, and yet the 2nd time around you seem clueless as to the content found within. Is your memory that short?

By the way your little comment.....

"The First Phase of your project Shud be to FIX the REASON it SMOKED ! The Harness Didnot Smoke itself, Something Caused it to SMOKE"

.....does not in any way address his question.

Again, since you're obviously incapable of reading properly, his question was "Will a harness from a 350 work?".

Did you answer "yes", "no" or "maybe"??? Because I at least attempted to help the guy... He didn't ask why it smoked...in fact, he didn't say it smoked, he said it was burned. Smoked indicates electrical failure, burned implies fire.

Spend some time here:

Then here:
...then check back with us once your reading comprehension is up to a middle-school level.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I only download UNREAD post in the last 5 DAYS

Reply to
no one

That's not my problem, so I really don't give a shit...

If you don't like the way I respond to posts, or your newsreader is set in such a way as to confuse you, or you are too lazy to read the rest of the thread to find out what's going on, then just don't post.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Why should I download All 200,000 post in a newsgroup EVERY DAY just So that you can Cut the original post off your Answer ! I already Read the original post a Week ago, and this is True of 100 other original post, But No one can remember What the original QUESTION was for EVERYONE on them!

Reply to
no one

This group usually doesn't get more than 10 new posts per day. More like 5. I guarantee you and I are the top posters for today on this group.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I agree. I think we were the only new post !

Reply to
no one

Yeah...it's not a high-traffic newgroup, but lately we've really been in a drought. I've been venturing over to alt.chevy.trucks as well as other newsgroups...

Feels like I've been cheating ;-)

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens