yellowed headlights

Page 1 of 2
I have a '90 Chevrolet pickup. The headlight and turn signal lens have yellowed. Is there a way to remove the yellow? I have buffed them to no avail. All suggestions will be appreciated.

The headlights should be replaced as they are likely goobered up from the inside from age (sealed beam right?). As for the turn signals, there are a few folks who have made suggestions in the past using various products, but I'll be damned if I can remember any of them.
Doc

Have a Ford T-bird that was really bad. At the time it was being suggested to us a very fine grit sand paper then buff with jewelers rouge. I didn't thy that, but what I did do was use fast orange hand cleaner with pumice and elbow grease. It improved it, but it's not like new and it left a little bit of a haze. The jewelers rouge and a buffer might fix that though.
What I did with my 91 Silverado was replace them with aftermarket assemblies ($180 I think online from someplace I cannot remember) but my surfaces were also warped, so no amount of cleaning was going to fix that.
http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?searchtype ]&sortorderAA&produ ctcategory=Headlights&category=Electrical+%26+Lighting&sf1=CHEVROLET&sf29 1&sf3=C%2FK+1500+Pickup&sf4=Direct+Replacement+Headlamps

bad...
http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?searchtype ]&sortorderAA&produ ctcategory=Headlights&category=Electrical+%26+Lighting&sf1=CHEVROLET&sf29 1&sf3=C%2FK+1500+Pickup&sf4=Direct+Replacement+Headlamps

IF it is a plastic cover that is yellowed you need a new cover. IF it is a sealed beam then I suggest you look for a bad bulb first and then a bad ground. Some sealed beams are a dull yellow when they are otherwise burned out. It may be so you can tell it is a car/truck and not a motorcycle. -- Best Regards Gordie
About all you can do is buy replacement lens housings... doin't buy the full assemblies, just get the lens and use your other parts. Even the lens housings are fairly expensive. Seems like GM could figure out someway to make a better lens that did not discolor so bad, or get cloudy. When they get bad its hell to see at night.
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:41:25 GMT, "Buck Permenter"

--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net

Did you ever suspect they might be designed to be "disposable" parts? It does feed the economy doesn't it? I mean just think of the technology we have today. And this problem can't be overcome?

thats funny.
anyway,
if the oxidation is on the outside of the lens assembly, try FLITZ. use it with a buffer. if that doesnt work, then try some brasso. if niether work then buy a new assembly.

I don't know why its funny, but if it is, i'm glad I introduced some light heartedness for you. I'm thinking of the mars rovers going all this time, way past their expected life. I'd almost bet if you talked to the machinist who made them, as opposed to the engineer who designed them, he could have told you they'd last a long time. There is no doubt in my mind they used the most exacting tolerances and methods in their manufacture. [The same of which you'd think would be applied to a $40,000. vehicle manufacture]. But do you think the lenses for their lights, [if they have any], or the lenses for their cameras are subject to the kind of thing being talked about here? Before you say, well, they spent a lot more money on those rovers than a new truck would cost, ask yourself if that isn't really only because the tax payer paid for it. Do you really think the manufacturing processes would be that different?
I read about all this labor to save $100 or $200 or whatever these assemblies cost and can't imagine it would be worth anyones time to try to repair them. Unless your time is worth nothing. Don't we always have to place and economic value on our time?

Some people don't have a spare $100 or $200 to spend on a repair like this. I don't think it's a waste of someone's time to try and conserve their money for other things, say like their children.
Brian

Of course. But you don't mean those children that you buy the HID headlights and car for do you?

How did HID headlights get into this?? The OP was looking to try and clean the foggy yellowed lenses of his '90 Chevy truck. I don't think they had an HID option then.
And yes buying a used car for your child is a very reasonable expense for most families.
I know it's hard but try and keep up.
Brian

Um, I dunno, you tell me.
I guess I'd ask how[?] it's hard, and how you know that, but then it'd probably be obvious to anyone who gave a damn.
Now, what did you offer to the OP, if thats your point, if not what is your problem? Are you having a bad day?

????????????
??????????????????????
Oh! Thanks for the concern. I'm having a great day.
P.S. You shouldn't smoke that shit so early in the day........

Ahora escucha aqu usted excremento que traga a pequeo diablo. Los pequeos diablos pueden comprar los automviles de sus pequeos nios satanic, mientras que los ngeles les hacen el trabajo para ellos de modo que respeten a los y a otras personas! Ahora, porqu usted no va de nuevo a cama y no empuja su mal da encima de su ebullicin y asno marcado pock antes de que plonk de I usted! Tmelo hacia fuera en esa esposa gorda del lingote si usted debe. Usted tiene mi permiso.

Ich habe keine Kinder und ich werde nicht verbunden. So schtze ich, da Sie falsch sein wrden. Traurig ist mein Spanisch ein wenig rostiges.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh this shit is getting out of control! Take this!
??????????! Bwahahahaha! Ten bucks to the one who figures this one out..................
Doc

Goddamn it, muh Chineese didn't post correctly!
Doc

That was my guess!
I Win! I Win! ;-)
Brian