Yet another Synthetic olil post (don't kill me, please.)

I'm purchasing my new vehicle (a 2004 Chevy Colorado with the 3.5 I-5) and I'm planning on using synthetic oil in it.
So here are a few questions...
1. Any recomendation on what weight and brand of syn oil? (I live in Eastern Tennessee. "mild climate.")
2. Any particular type or brand of filter for use with syn oils?
3. Any stats on how much it would improve engine life and/or gas mileage?
I've googled this topic, and searched the already posted syn oil posts in this forum. Couldn't find an answer to my question.
Thanks in advance! Big Ad
Mobil-1 Oil and Filters. 10w30 or 5w30, not a whole lot of difference when we are talking synthetics. Improvement on engine life, but too many variables to put a number on it. Gas milage improvement varies from vehicle to vehicle and driving conditions, but to get the full effect you need to switch all the fluids to synthetics.
Big Chris
Adam D. Vanover wrote:

Frnkly Adam unless you are really going to tax the engine (extremely hard towing, high seed lots of heat, short stop & go in cold weather, etc.) you're pretty much wasting your money. If you're thinking you'd like to extend drain intervals keep in mind you'll void your warr. Use a good oil i.e. Valvoline ( I like their semi synth. product) and good filters i.e. Wix from NAPA or A/C etc. a,most anything but FRam and keep it on the severe schedule it will run until the wheels fall off or you don't want it anymore whichever comes first ;-) Larry

and
Just fyi here are some other good forums that can be interesting:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?category=1 http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?s 7c25400b6f3fda17f0ee21b529e1bd&showforum=2