ZR2 electric fan conversion?

Hey Gang,

The little missez just purchased a new ZR2. Has anyone had any experiance with an electric cooling fan conversion or aftermarket fan and clutch. The noise from the stocker alone is worth the switch, but the performance loss sucks butt. I swear when that clutch kicks the fan it must draw thirty horses. Anway, thanks, toodles and all that.

A J

Reply to
Unknown

Replacing with an electric will not save you any power. yes you get rid of the fan running from the belts, but you at an huge load to the alternator in return. So you don't save power you just loose it elsewhere.

Reply to
Brian Jones

It doesn't put as huge of a load on the alternator as the mechanical driven though. Many people who have does the swap report they can feel the difference and dyno results in a couple hp gained. Flex-a-lite makes a model specifically for s-10's and someone on one of the s-10 forums installed the flex a lite dual fan.

Reply to
Me

Heres the dual fan truck

You have to register to see the pics.

Reply to
Me

"An huge load..."

Care to quantify?

I use electric fans on my hobby cars. I notice no "huge" loads on the electrical or charging systems, even on older cars('70s).

You don't really gain that much in HP, but it certainly does free up a little power and it's only about 1000 times safer.

True story:

I decided to switch to electric fans after watching one of those real-life ER shows on Discovery channel. An older black gentleman came in and he has a flex-fan blade embedded in his forehead. It seems he was tuning up an old ford or something when it broke off and buried itsself in his head.

Since then, nothing but electrics for me :-]

Reply to
GaWd