05 TSX

Hello all,

I'm looking into the 05 TSX (5spd Auto)... Can any owner's tell me how they're doing on MPG (combined)... is it close to the 25 or so claimed?

TIA

Reply to
AW

I've had my 2005 TSX for 6 weeks, 750 miles, and 5 tanks of gas.

I'm very disappointed to report that NONE of the tanks have done better than

19 MPG.

Mileage on the first five tanks was: 16, 17, 19, 16, 18.

I've only used premium gas. I'm not a hard driver.

Most of my driving is city commuting, but my previous car, a '96 Volvo 850, usually got 19-21 on this same commute. I expected the 4-cylinder TSX to do better (part of why I bought it). The one tank that gave me 19 mpg was about

50% highway.

I also think that the car is a little hard to start for a new car. My old Volvo always started right up when I turned the key. This one has to crank for a few seconds. Is this related to the poor fuel efficiency?

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Reply to
Jamco

I agree. My 2004 TSX (6 speed manual) gets 25mpg combined, and while I'm not aggressive, I also don't baby the car. The auto is supposed to get even better mileage due to higher gearing. Perhaps you're short shifting too much and not letting the engine run at it's peak rpm range?

The relatively "slow" starting nature of the engine is widely accepted to be due to the high compression ratio of the engine. Again, this will get slightly better as the engine breaks in.

Reply to
darius

"AW" wrote in news:_B0Ve.32630$qY1.17492@bgtnsc04- news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

This is quite normal. Your engine is still wearing in. The rings have not seated, and the cylinder walls are still achieving their final surface finishes.

You will see neither the final fuel or oil mileage until about 8-10K miles have been completed.

At this point you should be concentrating on breaking your engine in correctly according to your Owner's Manual. Especially, DO NOT perform the first oil change too early!

Reply to
TeGGeR®

My 2005 TSX, 6spd, Nav gets over 30mpg with about 80% highway driving. This is while hitting VTEC (revving more than 6000 rpm) a couple of times every day.

I've often squeezed over 500 miles out of 1 tankfull of gas.

Maybe your tire pressures are too low? I've got mine around 36f/34r but have had them up to 40f/38r. Low pressures will suck up the gas.

How are the plugs and air filter looking? Maybe they're dirty and causing some problems.

If you read the owner's manual, they state the car is slow to start due to the emission control system. While starting, the emissions computer calculates temp, humidity, etc, etc.....and starts the car after it adjusts. This "feature" caught me off guard and only after I read the "Quick Start" manual did this get explained.

The TSX is a fantastic (for me) combination of luxury, sportiness, fuel economy (30+ mpg) and fun to drive (6sp manual).

Reply to
GB

OK,

Thx.. Bought it on Saturday (Silver w/Nav). I'll pick it up this week.

Thanks all

AW

Reply to
AW