1988 Integra ignition timing adjustment

I reinstalled the cylinder head after a valve job and need to check the ignition timing. I've read about some kind of "service connection" that needs to be grounded. I suspect this turns off any
computer controlled advance, etc. But, I cannot find such a connection. Does it exist on this car? Where might I find it?

You do have a Service Check connector. I do not have the docs that would tell me whether it's in the engine compartment atop the driver's shock tower, or in the passenger compartment at the top of the passenger kick panel.
Either way, it's a 2-pin connector, blue or gray. You short the pins with a paper clip, then start the engine and do the timing thing.
--
Tegger

Hmm, I've looked and looked and looked all over this car. The only thing I've found is what looks like a two pin white connector that is not connected to anything and has a black plug in it. It is neatly secured to another harness by what looks like some sort of factory tape. It looks like it's never been accessed. It is deep behind and just above the glove box. I can see it through the seam between glove box and dash using a flashlight. I'll need to remove the glove box to get at it.
I can try shorting that connector and see if it affects the timing when shorted. I'm just worried about shorting that connector if it's not the right one.

Nope, that connector behind the glove box was not the correct one. It was already shorted by some factory plug, and it was a white three way connector, not a two way. I never did find the elusive "service connector" to short out, so I gave up looking. Therefore, I had to manually advance the timing a bit, because leaving the timing at the designated mark without shorting that connector resulted in a spark that was just too retarded. The car did not run well and exhibited odd behaviors, like surging when put into gear from neutral. Furthermore, without shorting the service connector I had to retard the distributor to its physical travel limit to get it close to spec. Even at that physical limit, it still read a degree or two too advanced. There is no "bumping the distributor one tooth" on this car because the distributor does not use a gear. The distributor can only be installed with the rotor oriented one of two ways: The correct way, or 180 degrees off.
So basically, I just reset the timing by using the old corrosion imprints on the housing from one of the distributor lock down bolts and washer. The car runs well there. Good reason to just mark the housing with the cylinder head next time whenever removing the distributor.
This new setting reads at least 10 degrees advanced from where it should be if the elusive service connector had been shorted. But, since the service connector was not shorted when measuring the timing I'm guessing this "eyeball" setting is pretty close, particularly because the car is much happier there. The car runs well now and doesn't misbehave. I'm leaving the timing alone at this point unless that elusive service connector reveals itself.

And my docs don't go back that far for the 'Teg.
I don't know how much this car is worth to you, but I'm seeing genuine Honda shop manuals for as low as $35 on eBay. <http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw 88+integra+manual&_sacat=See-All-Categories>
Knowing what I know now, I'd never own a Honda without also owning a genuine Honda shop manual.
--
Tegger

Just in case anyone else stumbles on this thread hoping for the answer; the connector you are shorting is in the engine bay ("main") fuse box. You are jumping a blue / brown wire to a brown wire. Good luck. I found the full m anual as a pdf on g1teg.org/Acura/88-89IntegraFSM.pdf