1990 acrua transmission

what are some of the reasons why my 1990 acrua integra transmission takes a LONG time to switch out of second gear (its a automatic)

-- Message posted using

information at

BJones21

------------------------------

Air in the cooling system is number one. Since it's a '91 you may have to search a bit, but start by filling the reservoir to the =MAX= mark and do it again the next morning. You'll see it 'drinks' some overnight as the system displaces the air. The final 'bleed' of the air is at

, I expect. When you're done, the coolant will stay at MAX all the time.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"BJones21" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Is your "S" light flashing?

Reply to
Tegger

no its no lights flashing it just takes a long time to shift i would have to drive it for at least 20 mins. before it switches over to 3rd gear do u think it could b a tempature censor or some said the Modulator Valve could have gone bad

-- Message posted using

information at

BJones21

u might have the post its a 90 integra with transmission problems

-- Message posted using

information at

BJones21

------------------------------

What did you find when you looked inside the coolant reservoir?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"BJones21" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Does the problem ONLY occur going into 3rd?

Are ALL other shifts (including lockup) OK?

Reply to
Tegger

yes its only 3rd that lock then after about me drive it around abour 20 mins it finnally switches over

-- Message posted using

information at

BJones21

--------------------------------------

What did you find when you topped up the coolant reservoir? Was it almost empty and was it part ways empty the next day?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"BJones21" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Shift Control Solenoid B is sticking, or 2-3 shift valve is sticking.

Have a garage check to see that Solenoid B is actually receiving control current from the TCM.

Have the fluid drained and filled at least three times as prescribed in the manual. It's best to use genuine Honda ATF-Z1 fluid, but standard Dexron- III is OK.

If your tranny has been neglected enough to have sticking solenoids and valves, a fluid change may not help. You're not supposed to do a "flush" on Honda trannies, but in your case this MAY be all that will help, provided they exercise all the valves and solenoids during the course of the flush.

Reply to
Tegger

I was leaning towards the _temp sensor may be high-n-dry scenario_ . The torque converter may not lock up if the ECU can't determine that the engine has warmed up. I don't think he believes me.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

motsco_ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I don't think this is the problem in this particular case, but your advice to check the coolant level is excellent in ANY case.

Fluid checks should be done routinely every few weeks regardless of driving habits or environment.

Reply to
Tegger