1994 Acura GS-R AC not cold but cool

I have had several questions answered here and so allowed me to move forward confidently on performing my own service.

I am the sole and original owner of the vehicle, ~75K miles and garage-kept. No front end damage or rock strikes to the condenser coil of the AC system identified. Actually, I use the AC very infrequently but need it on at times (passenger-demand...OK, the wife). :-))

The AC has shown to not blow as cold as all the previous years and that is not dependent upon the current heat wave, that is, inside the shade of the garage it is not cold, but cool. I note a hissing/bubbling noise emanating from the expansion coil where the freon boils and cold results. I can hear this after running the AC for a while and shutting the engine off. That may or may not be important to my question.

Anyway, would the lubricant AND oil in this be compatible and safe to try:

?

If not, is this R-134a a better choice:

?

Both are offered by Interdynamics through Amazon.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

T.H

PS

Knowing people are hesitant to sometime click on links, I suggest looking at the Web-of-Trust add-on for IE, Firefox, and Chrome. It may be available for other browsers, as well.

T.H

"T.H" wrote in news:F8ydnbhOeYvwHLrTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

You're probably just low on refrigerant. The average system loses a tiny amount of refrigerant each year, so some eventual loss of performance is normal.

One trick that does help with a marginal system is to turn the system to "recirculate" from "fresh" (recirc is the dashboard icon which shows the arrow circling entirely inside the car). This way the system is cooling air that's already partially-cooled instead of needing to cool with 95-degree air all the time.

Recirc is not a totally-sealed mode, so there's still a small amount of fresh air leaking in, but the volume of fresh is a lot lower than it is in "fresh" mode, so it's easier for the system to keep the air sufficiently cool.

You already have R134a. My understanding is that these systems are a bit finicky and much more in need of precision when refilling than the old R12 systems. Improper filling can destroy the compressor, and make the resulting repair bill VERY expensive! I would not attempt self-filling, myself.

If you're only a bit low due to age, you won't spend much more than $100 to have it topped up by a professional (and probably less). That would be my choice.

Reply to
Tegger