1998 Acura Integra Cooling

My 98 Integra is overheating at idling, but immediately cools down when driving. I am going to flush the antifreeze, change the thermostat, and perhaps the water pump. Where are these items located under the hood?
Any suggestions as to my diagnosis? Thanks.

Your fans are running when they are supposed to?

Change the thermostat,use a real ACURA TS,not an aftermarket replacement. It's at the front of the block,to the left of the distributor.The housing also has a coolant temp sensor.One of the radiator hoses goes to the housing. It's hard to get at one of the 2 bolts holding the housing on.You also have to bleed the air out using a bleed port on the right side of the distributor.
The water pump is a tough (major)job,requires removal of the timing belt cover,you may want to replace the belt at the same time,if over 60K miles on the motor.I'd do the thermostat first,see if that fixes your cooling problem.It did on my 94 GSR,same symptoms.
$20 bucks will buy you a Haynes manual at your local PepBoys,Advance Discount Auto Parts,or AutoZone,it has pictures and instructions.
There are also procedures for testing the cooling fans,fan relays,etc.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Check your coolant level at the rad. What you say sound suspiciously like low coolant.
If at idle it starts to overheat and you then rev it, does the gauge go back down?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ