1998 Integra GS

Hi,
I am buysing this car used, with 75kilometer (not miles) and it has had oil changes every 6-7000 km. SHouldn't it be every 4000?
PS. It is regular oil and NOT systhetic.
I looked at the oil stick and the oil was black. Is it burning oil
Please advise

Not unless it has been driven in severe conditions. Every 7500 is the normal conditions change interval.

Oil is supposed to get black. Is there a maintenance history for the car? Of more concern than the oil is the timing belt. Has it been changed? It doesn't need changing on the basis of milage, being due at 144,000 km, but it is overdue on time (6 years) if it hasn't been changed.
See: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#interference

All the oil change history for every 6-7 k is there. But the timing belt hasn't been replaced. How much is the cost of that approximately in CDN dollar?
The engine was clean, but I saw some sand/yellow things in the engine. Is this normal. BTW: carfax shows clean history.
Thanks for your input.

Oh, $200-300 or so, plus tax. More if you go to the dealer.
Hondas are interference engines. Skip changing the belt, and it can result in a thousand dollars of work.

Carfax won't tell you much if anything. Carfax still does not show the fender-bender from three years ago on my VIN.
Where was this "sand/yellow things"? Ran out with the oil? Was it squishy or gritty? It's not normal, but may not be fatal.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Thanks for replying.

So I should get that changed at 6 years, regarding the condition ( i live vancouver BC)?

Just around engine compartment. Looked like they drove in a sandy road.
Does carfax shows major accidents,fraud,VIN modification? How can I check the VIN so it has't been termpered or fake carefully, other than matching the one on the door with the body?
Is there a website that shows how to check for accidents on the body/VIN check etc? I know samarian.com, but any other ones?
Also, how can I check the ABS system?
Thanks

Absolutely! Don't delay, do it today!

Normal. They probably drove in an area where they spead sand on the roads for snow. You should see my engine compartment. You could build a sand castle in there.

That stuff needs to be reported to CarFax by insurance companies and the like. If it never gets reported, it never shows up.
The VIN is stamped on the firewall just below where the wipers bolt on, and on the plate visible in the lower left corner of the windshield, and on the door sticker.
Very later model cars sold in the US will also have white VIN stickers on every major body part. We do not have those stickers up here.

Not that I know of. For accident damage, your best weapon is your own eyes. It's *really* obvious once you know what to look for.

Find a road with gravel shoulders. Drive at maybe 25mph or so, and run two wheels off onto the shoulder. Now brake moderately hard, increasing force until you hear a loud growling noise. If you eventually get that growling, the ABS is working fine. When it's safe, move to the other side of the road and do the same thing with the wheels on that side.