1999 3.5 RL Parts

Where can I purchase OEM spark plugs for my Acura myself, I got a quote today on replacements and the cost of the plugs alone was $219. At $36.50 a plug, that can't be right?
Also, what is special about OEM plugs for my RL?

It is, but if you're buying at the dealer, you'll pay premium prices. Any auto parts place can order them in for you.
According to your owner's manual, "OEM" is either NGK part number PFR5L-11, or Denso PK16PR-L11.
They're pre-gapped, but do check (gently!) to make sure the gaps haven't got bumped closed in handling.

They're platinum-tipped, for one. That's primarily what causes the high price.
Also, NGK's "L" designation denotes a particular construction that your car needs. Incorrect plugs may cause the engine's computer to report errors.
And before you actually order new ones, check the appearance of the electrodes on the plugs you have now. Platinum plugs last a long time. If the electrodes show little sign of rounding, and the platinum dot is still present on the underside of the ground electrode, you can leave them in for much longer.
Tighten plugs to 13 ft lbs. The engine cover bolts are ONLY 7 ft lbs!!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You can get NGK or Denso Iridium plugs as specified for the RL for about $12 each here:
http://catalog.worldpac.com/ibusiness/JSP.v.1.01/wizard.jsp?header=http://www.alleurasianautoparts.com/header.txt&footer=http://www.alleurasianautoparts.com/footer.txt&partner=ipb&clientid=alleurasianautoparts.com&baseurl=http://www.alleurasianautoparts.com/&cookieid%K011QG925K011QG8&year 99&make&model=RL--001&category=All&part=Spark+Plug
I would use either NGK or Denso Iridium's without fear.
John