2000 3.2 TL Transmission Worry

My 2000 TL has 51,000 miles on it. The maintenance is up to date, the most recent being transmission fluid change that I had done at the dealer. I also responded to the recall which added a jet tube to the
transmission to lubricate 2nd gear. Pressing ever so gently on the gas under light loads (say to maintain speed on a flat road), the car bucks slightly. It stops immediately if I take my foot off the gas or press harder. Otherwise, everything is normal. Is this a sign of transmission trouble or do I need to get a tune up or the injectors cleaned? The dealer could really take me for a ride on this one...

Could be a lot of things. But your right, probebly the fuelinjectors being blocked a bit. At your local garange you can get some fuel additives that could clear it. Also might consider some new spark plugs. The cost nothing (like 1 to 5 dolars a piece), but could be part of the problem. If it isn't solved that way, let a dealer look at it. It does not sound like a transmition problem. I think that you driver near stationairy wenn this happens. So injecters and sparkplugs really are the best guess.
On 5/12/05 11:35 PM, in article 1_582444 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, "jnarde"

The transmission failures that I have seen reported do not have this symptom.
Every time my 2000 TL (currently at 60,000 miles) has run rough, the dealer has recommended the same cure - run a couple of tanks of Chevron through it or add a bottle of techron to the gas. It seems to also run well with Quick Trip. I have found that a good run on the highway of a hundred miles or so at 70-80 mph seems to clean it out.
The spark plugs are not due for replacement until 105,000 miles, so I doubt that they are the problem.
"user1386" wrote: > On 5/12/05 11:35 PM, in article > 1_582444 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, > "jnarde"
> > > My 2000 TL has 51,000 miles on it. The maintenance is up to > date, the > > most recent being transmission fluid change that I had done > at the > > dealer. I also responded to the recall which added a jet > tube to the > > transmission to lubricate 2nd gear. Pressing ever so gently > on the > > gas under light loads (say to maintain speed on a flat > road), the car > > bucks slightly. It stops immediately if I take my foot off > the gas or > > press harder. Otherwise, everything is normal. Is this a > sign of > > transmission trouble or do I need to get a tune up or the > injectors > > cleaned? The dealer could really take me for a ride on this > one... > > The transmission failures that I have seen reported do not > have this > symptom. > > Every time my 2000 TL (currently at 60,000 miles) has run > rough, the dealer > has recommended the same cure - run a couple of tanks of > Chevron through it > or add a bottle of techron to the gas. It seems to also run > well with Quick > Trip. I have found that a good run on the highway of a > hundred miles or so > at 70-80 mph seems to clean it out. > > > The spark plugs are not due for replacement until 105,000 > miles, so I doubt > that they are the problem.
Thanks for the tip. It makes sense because most of my driving is done on secondary roads where the speed limit is anywhere from 35 to 45 mph. Ill start with an additive and more highway miles.
Has anyone had problems with the clock backlight? I had it replaced once but it burned out again. How do I get at it if I wanted to change it myself?
Thanks in advance :D
On 5/16/05 10:35 PM, in article 1_585614 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, "jnarde"

My TL has nav, so it doesn't have a separate clock, but I can send you the pertinent pages from the Helm manual to get to the clock if you want.
"user1386" wrote: > On 5/16/05 10:35 PM, in article > 1_585614 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, > "jnarde"
> > > "user1386" wrote: > &nbsp;>> On 5/12/05 11:35 PM, in article > &nbsp;>> > 1_582444 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, > &nbsp;>> "jnarde" > &nbsp;>> &lt; snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com&gt; wrote: > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> My 2000 TL has 51,000 miles on it. The > maintenance is up to > &nbsp;>> date, the > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> most recent being transmission fluid change > that I had done > &nbsp;>> at the > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> dealer. I also responded to the recall which > added a jet > &nbsp;>> tube to the > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> transmission to lubricate 2nd gear. Pressing > ever so gently > &nbsp;>> on the > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> gas under light loads (say to maintain speed > on a flat > &nbsp;>> road), the car > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> bucks slightly. It stops immediately if I > take my foot off > &nbsp;>> the gas or > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> press harder. Otherwise, everything is > normal. Is this a > &nbsp;>> sign of > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> transmission trouble or do I need to get a > tune up or the > &nbsp;>> injectors > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> cleaned? The dealer could really take me for > a ride on this > &nbsp;>> one... > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> The transmission failures that I have seen reported > do not > &nbsp;>> have this > &nbsp;>> symptom. > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> Every time my 2000 TL (currently at 60,000 miles) has > run > &nbsp;>> rough, the dealer > &nbsp;>> has recommended the same cure - run a couple of tanks > of > &nbsp;>> Chevron through it > &nbsp;>> or add a bottle of techron to the gas. It seems to > also run > &nbsp;>> well with Quick > &nbsp;>> Trip. I have found that a good run on the highway of > a > &nbsp;>> hundred miles or so > &nbsp;>> at 70-80 mph seems to clean it out. > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> The spark plugs are not due for replacement until > 105,000 > &nbsp;>> miles, so I doubt > &nbsp;>> that they are the problem. > > > > Thanks for the tip. It makes sense because most of my > driving is done > > on secondary roads where the speed limit is anywhere from 35 > to 45 > > mph. Ill start with an additive and more highway miles. > > > > Has anyone had problems with the clock backlight? I had it > replaced > > once but it burned out again. How do I get at it if I > wanted to > > change it myself? > > > > Thanks in advance :D > > > My TL has nav, so it doesn't have a separate clock, but I can > send you the > pertinent pages from the Helm manual to get to the clock if > you want.
That would be great! My email is john.nardella AT @ AT comcast.net.
Thanks!!
"jnarde" wrote: > That would be great! My email is snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. > > Thanks!!
Ive had the same issues after the recall work plus another issue. My recall work was done in the wintertime. The next morning, after sitting in my garage, I could hardly move the shift lever. The colder the stiffer. Now that hot weather is here thats not an issue but wintertime will most likely bring that back. On the bucks slightly issue, It driving me nuts. I just went up my daughter stone driveway and the chatter, vibration could be felt on my bum. My dealer said nothing wrong with the trans. that they could find. The stiff shifter will be looked at during my winter visit to the dealer. At least I feel better knowing someone else is having the same issues. Ill try the techron. I also am a secondary road driver. My mileage is 56,500
bertman wrote:

This is interesting... I have a 2001 CL-S and at around 1,500 to 2,000 rpm at 45mph I get a sort of bucking. The problem is, I can't take my eyes off the road to check what my tach gauge is doing. Some of the roads I use when I take shortcuts are windy, and some knuckleheads cross that double yellow... Lets say I go through underwear quickly.
"" wrote: > bertman wrote: > > "jnarde" wrote: > > > That would be great! My email is snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. > > > > > > Thanks!! > > > > I've had the same issues after the recall work plus another > issue. My > > recall work was done in the wintertime. The next morning, > after > > sitting in my garage, I could hardly move the shift lever. > The colder > > the stiffer. Now that hot weather is here that's not an > issue but > > wintertime will most likely bring that back. On the bucks > slightly > > issue, It driving me nuts. I just went up my daughter stone > driveway > > and the chatter, vibration could be felt on my bum. My > dealer said > > nothing wrong with the trans. that they could find. The > stiff shifter > > will be looked at during my winter visit to the dealer. At > least I > > feel better knowing someone else is having the same issues. > I'll try > > the techron. I also am a secondary road driver. > > My mileage is 56,500 > > > This is interesting... I have a 2001 CL-S and at around 1,500 > to 2,000 > rpm at 45mph I get a sort of bucking. The problem is, I can't > take my > eyes off the road to check what my tach gauge is doing. Some > of the > roads I use when I take shortcuts are windy, and some > knuckleheads > cross that double yellow... Lets say I go through underwear > quickly.
Ive been driving my wifes car more and I think its the transmission. The bucking occurs under load, light throttle when the transmission shifts from 3rd to 4th gear. I basically count the gears and it always occurs between 3rd and 4th. But heres the catch, load and light throttle. If you accelerate hard or there is no load, it doesnt happen. The Acura tech took it out with me for a test ride and he accelerated hard. It didnt happen, surprise, surprise. He told me that the transmission problems occur when shifting. Since it doesnt happen all the time, its hard to repeat when it counts. I spoke to the owner of a 99 TL and she told her that she felt the same thing, but it was much worse. Acura replaced her transmission free of charge even though she had just crossed the 100K mark. Mine has 53K! Ill go insane if I have to wait til 100K! Lets hope it gets worse in a hurry or I can get it to repeat in front of the dealer. My wife loves the car so I would hate to sell it. One note: it never does it if I shift manually.