2000 GSR: Immobilizer?

Page 1 of 2
Did the 2000 Acura Integra GSR have an 'immobilizer' chip in the key?
-Bob

<proper crossposting added, including rec.autos.makers.honda>
Yes, your keys have chips in them. Why?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
says...

Someone stole my 2000 Acura Integra GSR, and I had assumed they broke in, started it, and drove off.
Just wondering how they did that...
-Bob

perhaps they brought along their own rigged immobilizer module? I've found references to an anti-theft "immobilizer" system,but no mention of RFID-chipped keys.IIRC,the "immobilizer" is a separate module.
on my 94 GS-R,they push-started the car even though it had an alarm with starter lockout.Drove it off at 3:40AM with the alarm blaring,too. "gone in 60 seconds".
You need to have a hidden fuel cutoff switch,and maybe even take the ECU indoors with you at night.
F-ing G-D thieves,we should be allowed to shoot them on sight.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You should move to Texas. That's exactly what someone did last week. Still no word on whether the DA's going to press charges, but public opinion here has so far been mostly in favor of the shooter.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5315727.html
Dave

In louisiana, being on your property and not speaking english well is enough reason to shoot them dead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori

You don't even have to live in Texas to do that. If I caught someone trying to steal my car, I'd tie them to a fence and chop off their balls and make them eat them, then I'd shoot them! If it was a woman I'd tie them to a fence, and then have my way with her and then I'd shoot her. I'm a nice person, I'm just very protective of my car.
says...

far too many people are willing to surrender their property(and mine,yours) to thieves. As if the thief's life was somehow important.
They can't see the terrible cost this thievery has to our society. It also leads to worse crimes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

And to think tolerance of thievery only started about 40 years ago.
At one time, not so very long ago, it was considered a citizen's duty to defend his person, family and property by whatever means he deemed necessary. And the world was a better place for it.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Jim Yanik wrote:

-----------------------------------
More likely they borough their own _Tow Truck_
'Curly'

It's my understanding that dealerships have "skeleton keys" that will open any Honda. It may be that there are stolen copies floating around of such keys.
It's also possible computer hackers have found a way to defeat the security. It can't be much harder than hacking any other computer-based security setup.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

it depends on whether the Hondas use an ECU-based "immobilizer" where an implanted code in the ECU has to match what the RFID chip in the key generates. Then they would have to change the ECU out to get the car to start with their RFID key.
ISTR that the later Integras had a separate "immobilizer" module(just a starter disable) that could be unplugged and replaced with a jumper module or hacked module.
IOW,it's just like aftermarket alarms,easily defeated.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I just did some quick studying of the immobilizer system in my manuals.
The '00-'05 Integra/RSX's immobilizer consist of three components: The transponder in the key, the control unit/receiver, and the engine's computer.
The receiver is right next to the ignition lock cylinder. When the receiver senses the correct signal from the key's transponder, it sends a coded sequence back to the engine's ECM. If the transmitted code is correct, the ECM causes the fuel system to be operated in a normal manner. If the signal is wrong, the fuel system will be disabled.
And how will the ECM disable the fuel system? By refusing to ground the Main Relay (probably by leaving terminal 8 open).
Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
says...

No...
Not following you...
??
-Bob

Does it SAY that? I thought it might inhibit injector operation,shutting them off totally. (at least in the RSX,a newer system.) That's what happens in my Sentra SE-R SpecV. That also is "disabling the fuel system".

Just not grounding the main relay leaves it vulnerable to jumpering,very simple. An "immobilizer" HAS to disable the ECU to be effective.
If that's the case,best to install a hidden fuel pump disable switch. I wish I had done that for my 94 GS-R,I had the parts all ready for installation,just didn't get to it in time. It cost me big time.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No it does not. It *does* say that the ECM will refuse to ground the Main Relay. I'm guessing on the Terminal 8 thing. Terminal 8 is the activation line for pre-'02 Main Relays.
Around '02, Honda split the Main Relay into two separate relays, one for fuel, for ignition. I haven't scrutinized the diagrams to see exactly what goes where. Yet.

I wonder how honest my (factory) manual is. It claims fuel disable, and nothing more.

That's too bad. The late John Ings had just that advice up on the FAQ before I took it over. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/stolen.html
There're only two lines to the fuel pump, and one's a ground. Splice into the live wire and it would be a rare crook indeed who could figure that one out. No power, no fuel.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Even if the fuel pump runs, the ECM can simply fail to signal the injectors. Ditto for the ignition. You can't have a running engine without the ECM participating.

You're right of course. That's why I wondered earlier how honest the shop manual was. It would be trivially easy for Honda to tell the ECM to disable spark and injectors as well as the fuel pump.
But none of this explains how the OP's car was stolen in the first place, which is what this whole thread was about.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:56:55 +0000, Tegger wrote:

Quite simple. Get a truck, lift front wheels and pull. Say goodbye to car.

if it had an immobilizer, it was either tricked, or more likely, the car was simply towed away.