2000 TL

My son's 2000 TL has an "engine light" came on about a month ago and I asked him about it. His response is he didn't know but his car is running fine. Unfortunately, it isn't my car but he is my son, and I would like to know if anybody can tell me how to deal with the light? The dealer wants $100 bucks to read the codes! Is there a way to read the codes and deal with the results without the dealer?

Robert King

Reply to
rlking

Hello Robert I have a 98 TL and 3 years ago on a very damp day the car started rough and the check eng. light came on. I took it to the dealer and for $80.00 they read the code and told me it was a missfire probably due to faulty spark plugs. I had the plugs changed and about a month later on a very damp day the same thing happened and the ch. eng. light comes back on. I took it to the dealer they read the code again and told me it could be the lead wires. I had them replaced and then on the next very damp day it happened again. I took it to another dealer who read the code and told me it was the O2 sensor. I decided not to replace that as I couldn't figure out why the o2 sensor would only act up on a damp day. I just ignored it and the check engine light has now been on for 3 years. I sent Honda a letter about it and they assured me the indicator light wasn't a scam but they would need to look closer at the car. Since it was then off warranty I decided to pass . I'm not suggesting that your son ignore the light but thought I would share that experience with you anyway. The owners manual suggest that it is probably an emissions problem and might be resolved by simply tightening the gas cap and the light might go out after a few days. I've also noticed in a flyer from a company called Princess Auto that they are selling a small unit for about $100.00 that you can hook into your electronics that will give you the code for the problem. You then have to find out what the code indicates but you might be able to get that from someone on the net. Good Luck with it Shack

Reply to
shack

It can be read at any service centre that has an OBDII (on board diagnostics version 2) reader. Call around (Pep Boys, VIP, etc . . .). Once you know the code, there are lots of websites that can help you with the diag or you can post the code here and someone can tell you.

If you are lucky and it was just a misfire, you can try disconnecting the positive terminal on the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer and "clear" the code - make sure you have your radio reset code on hand when you reconnect the battery. I suspect though that it is registering a code for a reason. Could be an O2 sensor, which is worth replacing since they influence fuel mixture/consumption. Or it could be another sensor.

Let us know how you make out.

MZ

98 TL 62k
Reply to
MZ

Isn't there a way to turn the Check Engine light off by holding the Reset button and turning the ignition key a few times?

Reply to
Venture Rider

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."

- MZ ;-)

Reply to
MZ

You're referring to the Maintenance Required light which is only a reminder. It is triggered by mileage and can be reset.

The Check Engine light is triggered by a problem or event. Ignore it at your own risk.

Reply to
Oldtimer

The risk is small. From the standpoint of potential harm to the vehicle, the only risk (assuming there are no other symptoms) is of overheating the catalyst through an overly rich mixture. The car can be driven in town indefinitely without risk, and once it is established the fuel economy is more or less normal it can be driven normally. It is really very rare for the mixture to be that rich without other symptoms.

A very common cause of the light coming on is a loose gas cap. If that is the cause, tightening the cap will extinguish the light in about a week of normal driving.

A friend says, when the "check engine" light comes on he opens the hood and says, "yep - still there!" and closes the hood again.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee