2002 Acura 3.2 TL Check Engine Light

Hello everyone - I have an '02 3.2 TL and just got back from a long 800 mile trip. Had the engine oil replaced and filters etc cleaned just before going on the trip, came back and now the check engine light is
on. The cars got about 95K miles on it, had the 90K mile service and tranny replaced by Acura a couple of months ago (recall on tranny for this model apparently). Any ideas what might be going on before I take it in to a service shop? I've heard oxy sensors can cause this, but if there are any other things I can check prior, I'd appreciate the tips.
Thanks! Varun
Go to an Autozone Part store if there is one nearby. They will let you borrow and connect a tester to determine the exact code(s) which triggered your CEL. It's a free service. You can then track down the codes online. If it is an oxy sensor you may still be covered by warranty. If not figure on about $400.

Which can mean any of a couple of hundred errors. You MUST get the code read by a garage with an OBD-II scanner. Do NOT assume an oxygen sensor or such is bad. Until the code is read, you simply cannot know.
As Sandy says, AZ will do it for free.
Report the code back here.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Ok thanks for your advice folks - I'll get the diagnostic done first before jumping to conclusions.
Just wanted to write back to let everyone know what the problem was - MISSING GAS TANK COVER! yeap, apparently the gas pump attendant forgot to replace the fuel tank cap a few weeks ago, resulting in a drop in the fuel tank pressure that set off the check engine light. 2 days after I replaced the fuel tank cover, the light went away on its own.
What a gotcha, eh?
vsehgal18 wrote:

And this is why you need the code! The code is your oracle.
Was your code P0457?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Actually, I didn't even get the code checked, I just researched online for what the various possibilities are for a check engine light to come on on the 3.2 TL, and when I discovered the missing tank cover, I figured I fix that first, and fortunately it was just that.
TeGGeR wrote:

The light came on our 99 Honda Odyssey due to an errant gas jockey. Then, 4 days later we had to replace our battery. Yes the battery was probably due, but I thought I'd mention it just the same.
--
Just B.

If this were my situation, I would check the intake manifolds just to double check things, and if that didnt solve the problems, take it for a diagnostic check before taking the car in to the shop. Or at the very least, calling the dealership and just asking, the techs can give you a more complete answer than perhaps hunting for it yourself. good luck justB. wrote: