2002 Acura TL

My 2002 TL wouldn't start at lunch time this afternoon. It is just 3.5 years old and nearly 49000 miles on it. I am surprised if battery dies that early.
When I open the hood and see, battery indicator is bright green. Please if anyone has any idea, let me know. I was just thinking that original battery should last min. of 5 years.
Thanks SGoura
Waiving the right to remain silent, "Suri Goura"

Depends on your climate and conditions. I'm routinely told that a new battery won't last much beyond two or three years here in the Phoenix, AZ area.

The United States is the greatest country in the world..!
said:

been in Flagstaff 4 years and haven't replaced a battery yet!
The green eye isn't a positive indicator of battery condition. Any chain store that sells batteries will test it for free, and they are usually honest about it. I think the battery is toast.
Mike

and amount of total electrolyte available in the battery.
Battery life is determined by two factors. First, the amount of space left by the manufacturer below the bottom of the plates and bottom of the battery casing. This is where the lead sulfate particulate matter accumulates over time. The second is the rate of lead sulfate accumulation. The latter can be strongly influenced by how much power is used from the battery on a regular basis (lots of starts, short trips, heavy battery demands - airconditioner clutches, etc) all influence this.
Most batteries "die" when the lead sulfate finally reaches the level of the bottom of the plates and shorts out one or more cells. You can have a fairly new battery and experience this if you drive up a very steep hill or tip the vehicle in some way....the lead sulfate can move down and short a cell.
Manufacturer's always calculate the space to leave in a way that the average battery will "die" about 1 year to 6 months prior to the battery warranty ending. You will most likely go get another of their batteries to claim the small amount of warranty left. You get locked in, so to say, to a warranty cycle.
Your best bet is to buy a long life battery and plan to automatically replace it 12 months prior to the end of life, regardless of whether it is performing OK at that point. This is assuming you drive the typical 12K miles a year or more and have the usual amount of local driving and airconditioner use. Hotter climes will tend to make this cycle a bit shorter.
Paul