2002 TL-S VSC/ABS lights come on sometimes when car is started

Once in awhile, when my 2002 TL-S is restarted a couple of times (e.g., while shopping, stoping in a couple of stores) both the VSC and ABS dash lights stay on when the car is started. Turning the car off
and then on again causes the lights to go out. This is very intermittent, and impossible to reproduce... The lights have never come on at any time other than when the car is started. When the lights aren't on, both systems seem to function fine.
An Acura dealer checked this when the lights were off, and didn't pick up any codes. Last week the lights came on and I was able to have the dealer's tech hook up the Acura analyzer while they were on - still no codes. The tech said the battery was a little weak and that if the cranking voltage was a little low it could confuse the computer. This seemed plausible enough - low voltage can cause digital logic to do strange things. So I went ahead and had the battery replaced. (BTW, it wasn't until I checked afterwards that I realized they should have prorated the price. They gave me a refund and a free oil change...)
The lights came on again, so the battery didn't help. I'm going to take the car in again to be checked out (they plan to get help from Acura in diagnosing the problem). However, does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this? I don't want to spend more money trying things, like the battery I probably didn't need.
Also, the dealer wouldn't commint to whether ABS and VSC are covered by the drivetrain warranty (100K, the car was certified preowned). Any advice about that?
Thanks in advance, Martin
On my 2001, the TCS light would come on intermittently. It was a lot like you discribe. I had the brake oil changed, and the problem never came back. Coincidence?
Acura suggests changing the brake oil every 36 months.
--
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:34:08 -0400, Martin <> let slip this dark secret:

it would go away for a while. Another possibility with the TCS is tires. The TCS works by sampling the speed of each individual wheel. If one tire's circumference is different, due to a difference in wear or pressure for example, it could confuse the system. Well, anyway, it's a good theory!
--
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry
I don't think it's wheel speeds, etc. The VSA and ABS lights just don't go off when the car is started, before driving an inch...
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:52:42 -0400, Humma Kavula

On 10/3/05 6:22 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "Martin" <Martin> wrote:

According to the manual for the 2000 TL, when both lights come on (on the 2000, its TCS & ABS) you should first diagnose the ABS problem. If the lights are on, there is a code stored. If you don't have a scanner, try your local AutoZone. In most places they will scan it for you free and get the code.
The problem is that there are no codes stored...
On two occasions the lights have stayed on and I immediately took the car to the Acura dealer and they hooked up the fancy Acura analyzer that not only reads codes, but scans the car's barcode. Both times, even though the lights were on while the analyzer was hooked up, there were no codes in the computer.
So the question is, what can make the VSA and ABS lights stay on when the car is started (they only come on then, not while the car is being driven) without any codes being stored?
Restarting the car resets the lights and, to the extent one can judge correct operation of the VSA and ABS systems from the driver's seat, when the lights are off both systems seem to work fine. (I don't know if they also work when the lights stay on.)

On 10/6/05 7:23 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "Martin" <Martin> wrote:

I don't know what to tell you -- if the lights stay on, there should be a code.

cause both lights to come on.

When the lights are on, their purpose is to alert you that those functions are not working.

The age old story of should vs. is!
A sharp diagnostician with schematics of the VSA/ABS system should be able to figure it out.
I guess the answer is going to be to take it back to the dealer and then they can call Acura and a subject matter expert can walk them through the debug process...
The reason I'm trying to find an answer on my own is to avoid having to pay for bogus non-warranty items that aren't really related to the problem.