2003 Acura 3.2TL Navigation System

Hello All, I recently purchased a pre-owned 2003 Acura 3.2TL Type S with navigation. The car is MINT except I don't have the code for the navigation
system and the dealer doesn't either. Before I bring it in to Acura and get killed on fees I was wondering if anyone knows how to reset the navigation system's 4 digit code to a default code. Is that possible? Or do i HAVE to take it to an Acura dealer to get reset? Thanks for your help!!
Found the answer for those interested. You need to get the S/N off of the dvd device in the trunk, then bring the car into an Acura dealer with proof of ownership/purchase, and they use a special web site to look up the 4 digit code. Interesting to know that one Acura dealer was going to charge me $96/hr to get the serial number off of the device and then look up the code online. They estimated approx. 1-2 hours. The device has 4 "easy to get to" screws and it took me about 5 minutes to get the S/N off of the unit. I will soon be bringing it to a local acura dealer to get the code for FREE!!

In all likely hood that information was provided by the prior owner but the dealers will discard all that information so as to keep new owners from ever contacting the prior owners. Another reason NOT to do business with dealers for anything other than the direct purchase of a new car. Stay away from their service departments. Someone must pay for the fancy service advisors, car washes & etc. And even then you don't get to talk with the mechanics who do/did the work. I live in the Los Angeles area and there are plenty of independent service shops. Neal

proof

Surely you knew that comment would draw input. In my opinion dealership service shops are a better bet than independents when you have big trouble. A shop that works only on a limited line of cars is always more intimately familiar with your model than a similarly competent one that works on Fords and Chevys and Kias and Fiats.... That is why we have an alt.autos.acura forum and people here who can tell you what the deal is with your 2003 3.2 TL.
There is a lot to be said for identifying a reputable shop and developing a good service relationship before big problems come along. I've noticed the horror stories of poor diagnoses and pricing that never ends we see in the car newsgroups are at the hands of independents. There are also some great independents out there, too, but be prepared to kiss a lot more frogs finding one than if you select from people who have to satisfy Honda/Acura standards.
Mike (mostly swinging my own wrench for 30 years)
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:45:51 -0700, Michael Pardee wrote:

I believe that my Acura dealer gives me good service at a fair price because a) they want me to keep coming back and b) they want me to buy my next Acura from them.
--
There are only two valid activities in this world:
personally attending to the injured and hungry,