2003 TL: Check Engine Light

My fiance has a 2003 Acura TL. The car needed an oil change recently so I took it to the 'Quick Lube' place that I've been taking my Nissan Maxima to for the last 5 years. After they did the service the next day I noticed the "Check Engine Light" came on. When I mentioned this to her she said that the Engine Light is programmed to automatically come on whenever the car requires an oil change.

Do we have to take the car to the dealer to get this turned off? Is there something special that is suppose to be done to 'reset' the engine light when you get a oil change? Should we just ignore it?

The car has less than 35,000 miles and is running excellent so I can't imagine that the engine light would be on for any other reason. Thoughts?

Reply to
diro

=================================

Read the owner's manual. You are confusing two different lights, and the RESET instructions should be in the owner's manual. More likely the oil change monkeys forgot to reconnect a hose. PS. Don't let them do your tranny fluid EVER.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

diro wrote in news:1177680506.920838.290710 @n35g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

There are TWO lamps that are commonly confused.

You must be referring to the "Maintenance Required" lamp, at lower left of the cluster of six under the tach. The other one is the "Check Engine" light, at upper right of ths cluster of six, next to the "2" transmission indicator.

If you no longer have your Owner's Manual, you can obtain one for free here:

"Owner's Manuals" from the menu at left (no login required), then navigate to your car. How to turn the light off is shown on page 67. Note: Make sure your headlights are OFF when you try to turn the Maintenance lamp off. At least some Hondas will not allow the lamp to turn off if the headlights are left on during the procedure.

Reply to
Tegger

The world would be a better place if nobody ever went to a quick lube place or chain store "repair" shop. Either do it yourself or find a real shop to care for everything the vehicle needs, lube included.

They probably damaged something. If what is really on is the maint. required light then it can be reset follow the owner's manual procedure. If the check engine light is on then someone needs to hook up a code reader to the OBDII port and find out what the car thinks is wrong.

Maybe monkey broke an oxygen sensor wire or another wire or hose????

John

Reply to
John Horner