2007 TL-S OEM Tires

I have a 2007 TL Type S, and while I like the car very much I think the traction of the standard Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires on wet or snowy roads is very poor. I live in the snow belt, and that's why I prefer front-wheel drive cars. But this car has the worst traction in snow of any front-wheel drive car I've ever owned.

I'm wondering why Acura chose these tires to begin with? I'm seriously thinking about replacing them, possibly with either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season.

I was comparing tires at

and both of these tires are rated MUCH higher than the more-expensive OEM tires by customers.

You can see the comparison at this link:

Suggestions and comments from other TL owners would be appreciated. Thanks!

John

Reply to
nobody

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in news:7qGdna9Pt6T15bPXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

All-seasons aren't terribly good in snow and on ice.

Low bid from the vendor? What you pay as a consumer isn't remotely what the automaker pays as a bulk buyer.

One thing at which Michelins do excel is tread life. They are hard as rocks and wear like rocks. Unfortunately they also seem to have about the traction of rocks.

If you really want good traction in snow and on ice, choose dedicated winter tires and keep your all-seasons for summer use.

Last fall my mechanic recommended Yokohama Ice Guard iG20s for my Integra. I was very happy with them this past winter.

Reply to
Tegger

you may want to pay some attention to the "would buy again" rating and the measure of tread depth besides the performance ratings.

it's pretty hard to get good dry, hot weather and icy, cold weather performance out of the same tire. many manufacturers are now using multiple tread compounds and tread patterns to improve all season capability but any all season tire is going to be a compromise and the higher performance tires are the most compromised.

that said, you need to get rid of your current tires due to poor wet traction, never mind winter traction. after you select some good wet traction tires you get to decide whether to go for higher performance and less winter traction or vice versa. Tegger's suggestion re. dedicated winter tires is the best way to go. Winter compounds deal much better with cold roads.

Reply to
ACAR