2009 - 2012 RL?

My 12 year old Acura TL type S is finally starting nickle and dime me. So I'm on the prowl for a new car. I'm checking out certified Acuras first. The '09-'11 TL's with that front shiny slab just don't do it for me. Actually I think its ass ugly. The only TL I like is the '12 and certified units are too expensive for me. The RL's however don't have that goofy nose. My question is, is there any year I should avoid even if it is certified? The '09 RL was the first model after the redesign so if I were to guess that one would have problems. What about the 10's and

11's? I deifnately want AWD. I'm also checking out BMW 3 series, a few 5 series and the Mercedes E350.
Reply to
Justin

I have a 2011 RL, purchased new in Feb 2010, now with about 14,000 miles. Totally loaded model with all options and AWD and sticker of around $57K before taxes,

This car has been totally superb. Not a single repair issue in 19 months with only service being oil changes, tire rotation, and recently new wiper blades.

Best car I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of really great cars. Runs circles around my last 2 Lexus sedans in terms of total customer satisfaction and complete ease of ownership.

The RL has a bad magazine reviewer reputation based on the "beak" grill and bland appearance, but I must say that it is a wonderful, totally smooth and powerful ride with exceptional comfort, quiet, and amazing safety including the radar accident avoidance system and superb winter traction.

No idea if prior year RLs since the 09' restyling had issues, but a check of Consumer Reports reliability ratings will answer that question for you. The 2011 model is superb.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Thanks, that seems to match what the reviews are saying. Putting it up against a Mercedes E350, it wins in pretty much everything from power, performance to features. SH-AWD seems to be better than Mercedes 4matic or BMW's Xdrive. Don't post that to the BMW or Mercedes groups. However, $57k(US) is waaaaaay more than I can spend. I'm hoping to get either a CPO '10/'11 around $35. I'll avoid the '09. Maybe... if I can get a low mileage '08 for dirt cheap I'll consider it, just to hold me over until I get enough cash to trade up. I have a feeling my

160,000 mile TL-S is working its way to a catastrophic failure. I'm pretty much dead set on an RL.
Reply to
Justin

Justin wrote in news:k7gntl$a1f$1@dont- email.me:

The RL is a great buy. Honda poured a lot of money into its flagship Acura, only to be disappointed by slow sales. According to my guy at my local dealership, most buyers don't seem to feel that there's enough of a difference between the RL and the TL to justify the RL's higher price, so they end up getting the TL.

Things might have been different if the 2008 economy-crash hadn't sidelined Honda's plans for a RWD, V8 RL. No kidding.

Reply to
Tegger

What makes you think that?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My mom's '02 had a ball joint failure, and it doesn't have as many miles as mine. Also, there are noises that make me nervous. For example a "clicking."

Reply to
Justin