91 acura integra possible starter problem

I just picked up a 91 Acura Integra and the guy who gave it to me said you have to hold the key in the ignition while you drive it. I of course want to repair this, any ideas on what I need to purchase, how
much it will cost, or if it is something I can do myself?
Thanks in advance
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Sounds like a wornout ignition switch,not a starter problem. (the starter cranks the motor,not needed once the motor begins running.)
In the 94 Integra,the electrical part of the switch can be replaced without changing the lock cylinder and needing new keys(that don't match your door locks!!).I don't know about earlier models.They're probably similar.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You mean you have to push it in, or keep it turned?
A new key may be all you need. I'd try that first before ripping stuff apart. Do you still have the original key with the 4-digit number on the shaft? If so, the dealer can order a new one. They're pretty cheap.
If a new key doesn't fix it, you need a new lock cylinder. It's easy to install, but you'd need a locksmith to re-key the new cylinder for your original key if you wanted to use the same key for the whole car.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

If, however, you mean the key won't stay in the RUN position (II) and the car stalls, then you probably need the ignition switch. The switch provides the click-stops that keep the key at a certain position.
Here are links to pictures of your lock cylinder and ignition switch. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#ignitionswitch
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
I think you may have nailed it TeGGeR. It won't stay in the run position. Thats why I have to hold it. If I let it go, the engine stops.
Any idea on how much a new switch would cost, and a good place to buy one from?
Thanks again everybody.

There are number of places that do the on-line parts thing. A list here: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/online-parts.html
Nobody seems to list the ignition switch though, so you probably have no choice but to call your local dealer. I even checked one of the on-line Honda dealers, with no success there either.
If I were you, I'd pull the lock cylinder first and see if you get the same sort of behavior from the switch when you manipulate it with a small screwdriver before rspending money.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Don't you have to break off some security bolts to remove the lock cylinder? Or do you mean "pull off the switch from the lock cylinder" and manipulate the switch with a screwdriver?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Nope. Easy as pie, once you get the covers off.
All you do is insert the key, turn the key to "I", remove a small set-screw from the bottom, push the pin in on top, and withdraw the cylinder. The point is, you need the right key in the first place.
You need to do this to get at the small half-round slot in the switch. This is how you start the car with a screwdriver.
What thieves depend on is the fact that the lock cylinder is only held in by that tiny set-screw and the spring-loaded pin. If they get lucky, they can break both of those with a large coarse-threaded screw reefed into the key slot and a slide hammer attached to that. Once the cylinder's out, they whip out the skinny screwdriver and off they go. Vroom!