'91 integra 150K miles intermittent hard starting

Original owner. Would start everytime in the first millisecond. Couple of times in recent weeks it was hard to start. Plenty of batt and cranking power. I haven't checked to see spark yet. Started just great
this morn. Sound like anything generic? Burns no oil ever and gets 33mpg on hwy. Cheers

Main relay? starts,then dies quickly,worse in hot weather,then cranks but won't start?
www.tegger.com
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Hard to start". Too vague.
Please, more detail. How "hard"? "Hard" in what way?
Please give some repair/maintenance history of the car, including mileage.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
150K. Cranks vigorously but doesn't ignite. eventually starts (2X). No engine work ever, original plugs. oil changes and filters mainly. new problem. If you were clairvoyant Tegger, you could have gleaned this from my original, but spare, post...lol.... My guess might be either no spark or no gas getting to spark. Runs normal once started. I'm playing with a recently acquired, restored, '81 Yamaha xs650 twin thumper. I already smell of gas. Don't need no more stinkin' problems....
TeGGeR wrote:

<snip>

You detail some *considerable* evidence of neglect. Very bad.

Right now I suspect poor spark. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#checkspark
Tell me what you observe.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

If by neglect you mean never changing the plugs, I think at about 100K when I had the baby in for something it needed (brakes?) I wondered about changing the plugs as they might be frozen, and the service manager talked me out of it. With 3 vehicles to maintain (2001 Prelude, 81 Yamaha XS650, '91 Integra) the squawky one gets the attention.... Thanks for the ref's Why not pull the plug out of the engine and use that to check for spark? That's what I was planning to do if i get the time/energy. She's been starting right up again. I heard someone ask the Car Guys (NPR) about an intermittent starting problem like mine on an Accord. They said to check the fuel relay under the dash. I might look there after the spartk test.
finding z0 wrote:

If it _only_ happens after sitting overnight, or especially on Monday morning, it's just a dribbling injector. Follow the Owner's Manual chapter about starting a FLOODED ENGINE. Hold the pedal hard to the floor and crank it for up to 15 seconds at a time. It will start with a puff of black smoke and lots of sputtering. You need to clean you injectors with injector cleaner and possibly a tank of Gasohol.
'Curly'
'Curly Q. Links' wrote:

been that deep into a hole, and what the hell do I need to buy to get them out? Ye olde spark plug wrench weren't gonna do it....The hole looked pretty clean considering they've been untouched for 15yrs/150K miles.

DOHC engine? that's normal. The plugs fit in between the Overhead cams and valvetrain.
Use a socket extension with your 3/8" drive spark plug socket.I hope you don't strip out the plug threads in the aluminum head.(after leaving them in for so long) Use hi-temp anti-seize compound when installing the new ones.Be careful starting them in the threads.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

fit.

You need a 5/8" spark plug socket.
A spark plug socket is the same as a normal deep-socket, but it has a rubber grommet inside that holds the plug so you can remove and replace plugs without them falling out on you.
Do NOT use a deep socket without the rubber grommet!
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

Thanks TeGGeR!
TeGGeR wrote:

Decided to see if I could get those 15 yr old plugs out b4 I bought new ones so I picked up a 5/8" sp socket at AutoZone (drove there on my'81 xs650 twin thumper). Using 2 extensions the old plugs came out w/o any problems. They had a decent color, but the gap was wide enuff to pass my thumb under. I picked up 4 plugs (OEM NGK v-power) at a parts store for under $8. Sprayed wd-40 down each hole then put in the new plugs after gapping them (they were close). Started this morn. We shall see. If it doesn't do the trick I will report back. If it does, I'll forget to......Didn't check for spark as I was alone all weekend. Besides, most of the time it has spark or it wouldn't start. It's a good idea to pull and replace the plugs with the engine cold. Cheers
Still starting!!
still rusting as well......but running..