91 Integra - Clutch Pedal Free Travel Adjustment.

I am trying to find info on adjustment of Cluch pedal travel. I have an intermittent chatter in my clutch, will such an adjustment help?
TIA

intermittent chatter from (believe it or not) funky engine operation! My '70 Volvo would do that when it was time to work on the points (like every couple months - the distributor was notorious), and my '84 Nissan 300ZX would do that when the injectors were dirty! A tank of Texaco gas or a bottle of fuel injector cleaner had it clutching smoothly within 100 miles. It may not be the answer to your problem, but it is cheap and easy to try while you search for other potential problems.
I think you have a hydraulic clutch - if so, bleeding is also cheap and easy. Another fairly long shot, but....
Mike
Mike
What is the mileage on your clutch? The average life is less that 100k and you are probably getting the signs for a retired clutch. The dealer tells me that there is no adjustment for the pedal travel. The solution is a replacement but he suggest that I keep driving until it shows the signs you are talking about because he has seen clutches with more than 200k . Probably lots of high way driving.
Vlad
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:03:01 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

According to the 1990 Owners Manual it states that Clutch Pedal Free Travel is to be adjusted every 12,000km or so. It also states that driving with the clutch pedal free travel out of adjustment will result in premature clutch wear.

That probably changed on 1991
Vlad

The 90-93 Integra has a cable-actuated clutch, and it most definitely DOES need to be adjusted (at the release arm). Clearance should be checked at every oil change. Forget that 12K mile interval specified in the manual.
Pull the cable up off the nut's seat. It will come up easily, with only a little effort. There ought to be slightly over 1/8" of space between the nut and the seat. If not, spin the nut with your thumb until you do get that.
If the nut cannot be easily pulled off the seat, the clutch is severely out of adjustment and it is entirely possible that the pressure plate will be prevented from clamping the friction disc properly and it will chatter as though it were worn.
If there is less than 1/4" of thread showing *above* the big plastic nut, you're running on fumes, so to speak. And that's where I am right now with mine. I expect it to start slipping any day now...
Honda clutches will last ages if the right sort of driving is performed. Mine is at 244,147 miles as of today.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ