91 Integra - Electrical problem - Help

Over the last few weeks I could tell my car was turning over sluggishly when starting......like when battery is dying.... Then 3 times the last few days, after cranking my car, my radio had lost power...preset channels gone, clock not set, but the interior clock in my car had not reset. Today after sluggishly cranking the car and driving it, I cut it off upon returning home and car would not start. Lights, horn, interior lights all worked fine, starter would not engage....just the fast rat tat tat of when turning over. I connected jumper cables to my car and car started fine, but would not restart without jumper cables attached. Therefore, I assumed a bad/dead battery.....not enough juice to turn over motor.

I replaced the battery, the car starts just fine now. However, now my battery light comes on when idling and from 800-1800 rpm's. The engine now revs up and down by itself from 800-1800 rpm's and battery light dims and brightens with rev'ing of the engine. Once I increase rpm's above 1800 rpm's, the battery light goes off and all seems normal.

What's my problem.....??? I suspect the alternator is in process of dying.

HELP!!!

Thanks.

Reply to
B.Creech

"B.Creech" wrote in news:RKqah.57642$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com:

Right now it does sound like that.

Connect a multimeter between battery + and -. When the battery light comes on, is there a drop in voltage? You should get around 14V from idle. If you get closer to 12V (at any time with engine running), then there's a problem of some sort.

You may observe a no-charge situation when the light is on (which would be a dropdown to battery voltage when the light is on). However, if the regulator has gone bad and the alternator is charging but putting out too little voltage all the time, you'll get the problems described.

Reply to
Tegger

I have 12.30 volts across battery terminals all the time .....at idle or

3000rpm+....voltage does not change.

It is weird that the battery light never came on until I replaced the battery.... Going to get alternator checked tomorrow.

Thanks

Tegger wrote:

Reply to
B.Creech

"B.Creech" wrote in news:Bssah.54429$ snipped-for-privacy@southeast.rr.com:

Then the alternator is not charging. 12.30V is plain battery voltage.

Might have just been coincidental. The "battery" light is actually a CHARGE light. It's related to the alternator, not the battery.

Reply to
Tegger

Alternator replaced today, problem solved.............I hope...:).

Thanks for the advice/responses.

BC

Tegger wrote:

Reply to
B.Creech

You probably burned up the alternator by jumpering it incorrectly.

Reply to
John Ackerman