91 Integra radiator

Need to replace radiator in 91 Integra 5 spd. Web distributors show at least 2, sometimes 4 different choices. How to tell which one to get?

Reply to
<p_buck*nospam

wrote in news:FQUcf.7657$% snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

Get one with an aluminum core if possible.

Get the automatic tranny one, which is dual-core, and plug the tranny fluid lines in the bottom tank.

And don't get the very cheapest one there is.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

?maybe a silly question but - aluminum, dual core for automatic will cool even better than the single Al- core manual &/or the all metal copper/brass single core, correct?

appreciate yr help.

Reply to
<p_buck*nospam

and whats the difference between the Denso and Toyo OEM versions?

Reply to
<p_buck*nospam

wrote in news:LT1df.7682$% snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

There should will be no difference in engine cooling, as the single-core rad is already more than up to the task. It's just that since aftermarket is so cheap compared to OEM, you might as well get the dual-core.

My mechanic says aluminum rads are better than brass. I think it has to do with heat transfer being more efficient with aluminum.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Last question (I hope) I can get one, single core, Al- w/ plastic tank at AutoZone for $153. Is this a good / reasonable deal?

Reply to
<p_buck*nospam

wrote in news:x42df.7689$% snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

Don't know.

It's possible there's no structural difference at all. My factory manual only shows one kind of rad structure.

I'd say just get a dual-core aluminum one, then hold it up close to your installed one and then compare/measure them /before/ taking the old one out. That way if it's not right, the shop will take it back and get you the other kind.

I don't /think/ there's any difference. All the rads I've seen in cars in wrecking yards all look the same.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Just got mine replaced $170 + $80 for installation. On a 91 car there is much point on paying for the best since the car will go to the scrap yard within a couple of years. Your case may be different Don't drive with a leaky radiator. The fumes will go into the car and antifreeze glycol is poisonous to the kidneys.

Mel

Reply to
John A.

You can see both versions here:

or
You can tell which one you have by checking if your fan has 4 or 5 blades.

The radiators look the same in those pictures, but maybe they have different pressure ratings. I know when I called the other day to get a price on a radiator cap they asked me whether I had toyo or denso.

--Art

Reply to
Art M