92 integra vibration?

I have a 92 integra with a front end vibration that I've been unable to solve. It's most noticable above 40 mph and feels as if the front is out of alignment or a tire is out of balance. At 65+, especially when the road's wet, the front feels loose like it's floating or skipping across the ground. I've done many of the typical things but to no avail. Before I end up replacing everything I was hoping someone might have an idea, the shop dosen't. I've done all the work but have never worked with rack and pinion before, possible cause, I don't know.. Listing over the past 6 months

-alignment & balance 2x

-new tires

-new rotors & brakes

-motor mounts all (one broke, trans mount good)

-new axles (one was bad replaced both)

-new lower ball joints

-new axle bearings

Reply to
r2brats

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in news:1354a456-7f62-4313-8eba- snipped-for-privacy@q60g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

How are the bushings?

Does the vibration occur on acceleration but not on deceleration?

Reply to
Tegger

The bushings appear to be ok but I haven't looked at the rack & pinion bushings. The vibration is a little more noticable under acceleration but is still there during deceleration. It's most noticable if I'm running say 65 and put a gradual load on the car. It has a wooble sound like a tire out of round, out of balance, miss aligned. Someone mentioned the camber and I know from one of the alignments that the passenger side tilts in at the top. It has me baffold, I've worked on cars most of my life and can typically solve a problem within the first (or second) attempt. In some ways it feels like something in the drivetrain (axles, bearings) and in other ways it feels like something in the suspension (bushings, ball joints) it's got me? Thanks

Reply to
r2brats

Motor mounts? Just a thought

Reply to
John Gilman

nope, one was broke so I just replaced them all.

Reply to
r2brats

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

That doesn't sound right. Why only the passenger side???(IMO,that's a clue) Does the car have lowering springs,or OEM? Maybe a bent control arm/A frame?

perhaps a bad wheel itself? Maybe it's not concentric or damaged in some way. maybe worn stud holes in the wheel? Try swapping a different tire/wheel set on it,see if that makes a difference.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

innews: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Car is stock and I've tried a second set of wheels and tires with the same results. Changed or checked most typical things associated with a front end vibration. One of the few things I haven't checked is the intermediate shaft and bearing which may explain why it feels like drivetrain/suspension. Hopefully I get a chance to take a look at it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Reply to
r2brats

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have a similar thing that I've also been unable to solve, which is why I ask. But mine is only on acceleration, it disappears completely on decel. It's also much worse in cold weather than in warm.

The fronts should be straight up and down. If you've got positive camber, you've got a bent part or worn bushings.

Check the tires themselves. Raise the front wheels off the ground (car on stands). Start the engine and allow it to idle in 1st gear. If one wheel won't spin on its own, give it a push with your hand to start it.

Now observe the tires from the front. Do they spin true? Do they hop up and down, wobble side to side, or squirm both ways? If they do anything but spin dead-true, there's a likely candidate for your problem.

Shut the engine off. Check the tire tread by gently running the flat of your hand both ways over the tread. Dead smooth? Waves? Ripples? Sawtooth pattern? Uneven wear left-to-right? What do you feel?

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Interesting. I never thought of that one.

That center bearing is under very little stress, but it's worth checking. I should check mine for wear next time I pop the driveshaft out. I never thought to inspect it when I had the shaft out last fall.

Reply to
Tegger