93 Acura CL - Headlight out - $800?

The car is a 93 Acura CL with 54K miles. The passenger side low-beam lamp and inverter/igniter were replaced in 2005 at 24K miles. Then the left side in 2007. Now the right side has gone
out again, and the dealer is talking as much as $800 since it's no longer under warranty. That would be if it's both the inverter and the bulb.
Can someone tell me what the deal is with these HID lights? Do I have any option other than to have it fixed? I mean, can you switch to non-HID or something like that? Or is there a better place to have it fixed? In Dallas.
Has anyone ever gotten Honda Motor to help out on this kind of thing?
Well, never mind. I ended up getting the inverter/igniter replaced at the dealer for $612. Just unbelieveable that they would have designed something that expensive for headlights. It's not as if headlights didn't work ok with just regular bulbs. Well, I guess it's the downside of buying a nice car.
Peabody says...

Weren't HID's optional that year?
--
Tegger

Tegger says...
>> Well, never mind. I ended up getting the >> inverter/igniter replaced at the dealer for $612. Just >> unbelieveable that they would have designed something >> that expensive for headlights. It's not as if >> headlights didn't work ok with just regular bulbs. >> Well, I guess it's the downside of buying a nice car.
> Weren't HID's optional that year?
I don't know for sure - the Acura was my brother's car. But I believe HID was standard on the CL.
I just hope my 2012 Civic doesn't have this feature.

HID's have a high "cool" factor, and a lot of people like them. Until they break...
--
Tegger

says...

I don't know about the "cool" factor, but I know I see a lot better at night. When I drive my wife's non-HID equipped vehicle at night, I find myself wondering if the lights came on when I hit the switch.
I want her next vehicle to have them.
Bob

$99.00 at http://www.carid.com/2003-acura-cl-xenon-hid /