97 acura 1.6 EL

Hey all,
I have a problem with my engine, i'm getting gas into my oil, so i did a leakdown test and my second cylinder is at 67%. i've got to do
another test with them so they can determine what it is. The first acura service rep i had said "you're going to probably need a new engine", and the second one said "you should probably just buy a new car, they have great deals on the new 1.7 EL's". hunh? they still don't know what the problem is, and they're upselling me... i'm pissed. anyway. how big of a deal is this? if i change my oil, say, every 3500 miles and keep driving, should my car be fine? since the first diagnostic, i've driven 6000 miles and all is still fine. the only reason i'm concerned is that if i'm about to hit the scheduled timing belt replacment. If I do need a new engine, the timing belt money would be wasted. i'm just tortured over making the right move here. anyone have any experience with this sort of thing??
thanks

Something is seriously wrong with that cylinder - valves or broken piston rings. Whichever it is it will get worse as the hot combustion gasses torch a channel through the valve seat or the cylinder wall.
Their advice is sound. You can buy a decent used engine at a reasonable price. Others will have links, I'm sure.
Mike

ah, so my "keep riding it until it quits" theory could happen sooner than later. good to know. I've been told I can get an engine for $500 Cdn. anybody have a great online autoparts dealer?
"SPIDERMAN" wrote:
> message > > &nbsp;>> Hey all, > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> I have a problem with my engine, i'm > getting gas into my oil, > &nbsp;>> so i did a leakdown test and my second cylinder is at > 67%. i've got to > &nbsp;>> do another test with them so they can determine what > it is. The first > &nbsp;>> acura service rep i had said "you're going to > probably need a new > &nbsp;>> engine", and the second one said "you should probably > just buy a new car, > &nbsp;>> they have great deals on the new 1.7 EL's". hunh? > they still don't know > &nbsp;>> what the problem is, and they're upselling me... i'm > pissed. anyway. > &nbsp;>> how big of a deal is this? if i change my oil, say, > every 3500 miles and > &nbsp;>> keep driving, should my car be fine? since the first > diagnostic, i've > &nbsp;>> driven 6000 miles and all is still fine. the only > reason i'm concerned > &nbsp;>> is that if i'm about to hit the scheduled timing belt > replacment. If I > &nbsp;>> do need a new engine, the timing belt money would be > wasted. i'm just > &nbsp;>> tortured over making the right move here. anyone > have any experience > &nbsp;>> with this sort of thing?? > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> thanks > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> f > &nbsp;>> > > Something is seriously wrong with that cylinder - valves or > broken piston > > rings. Whichever it is it will get worse as the hot > combustion gasses > > torch a channel through the valve seat or the cylinder wall. > > > > Their advice is sound. You can buy a decent used engine at a > reasonable > > price. Others will have links, I'm sure. > > > > Mike > > > > ah, so my "keep riding it until it quits" theory could happen > sooner than > later. good to know. I've been told I can get an engine for > $500 Cdn. > anybody have a great online autoparts dealer?
dont do that i have integra civic and preludes... my prelude did that and i drove it untill it blew... is the engine knocking if yes thats bad that the pistion hitting the valve check your oil and oil light. if you dont keep on feeding it oil it will blow. if the engine blows it might crack the block and then you will have yo buy a new engine this way you can rebuild your exhisting engine this will save you 1000 also double check your oil pan plug and be sure its not leaking this is what may have caused the problem in the fist place. watch the temp gauage if it ever goes past half stop your engine (turn the car off) used engine are cheep and almost any honda engine will fit you can get a used b18b/a 145hp 90-93/04-01 integra for $300 for example good luck and be smart... sell the car befor it pops if you want to a snake and/or spend no money.