97 Integra ls shifting problems

Need help with 97 Integra ls.. When I press the clutch to the floor I hear a slight grinding noise similar to the noise the ABS makes. Also it is difficult to get the car into 3rd and 4th gear, then grinds in
5th. If I only push the clutch half way the shifts are pretty smooth. The car has 170,000 miles with the original tranny parts i'm sure. Any suggestions?

When did this start? Has it been that way since you bought the car, or did it start later?
Does it happen when the engine is both cold and when hot, or just when one or the other?
When the car is idling but mot moving, can you push the clutch and not hear the noise? Can you change gears easily if the car's mot moving?
It's unlikely you still have the original clutch at 170K.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Have had the car for 5 years. It just started and it occurs when it is hot and cold. Shifting is easy when not moving. When engine is really cold it chips the tires when you let the clutch out and jumps till its warm. When the car is not moving you can push the clutch to the floor and it still makes the noise but only when you come to a stop. Tegger wrote:

Worn throwout bearing?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The more I think about this one, the more I'm suspecting it's the release bearing (as mentioned by Jim Yanik).
Are you quite certain the "chirp" you hear is actually the tires? I'm wondering if your'e not hearing the release bearing squeal instead.
Perhaps you could give a few more details on the "jumping" thing.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Its chirping the tires for sure, and the front end skips or hops when the car is really cold. Plus I live in the NE were it gets quite cold, last week when it all started it was 10 degrees real temp! I had the fluid level checked in the transaxle like you recomended and it was clean and full. The more I drive it the more I have figured out how to have it drive normal. If I push the clutch only half way its fine, its when I push it to the floor and try to make a quick gear changes it grinds or won't allow me to shift. Tegger wrote:

I wonder if he has clutch master/slave cylinder problems? Maybe one of the cylinders has a worn area in the bore and when he pushes down to that point,it lets fluid around it and the clutch only goes part released.(maybe a piston seal is getting stiff with cold?)
Or maybe water in the fluid and it's affected in cold weather? (long shot)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It's a good guess. I think the OP has a problem that is best dealt with personally by a local tech. It's probably something nobody would have thought of based on the descriptions given so far.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Then your clutch is almost certainly just plain worn out.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Noise is caused by springs in clutch disc contacting the flywheel bolts. This is cause by a worn or broken clutch disc of the two I would say broken. The disc breaks where the damper springs are held in allowing the springs to move in their seats and when the pedal is pushed all the way down they hit the bolts cause before mentioned noise. Need a new clutch!! Good Luck
David Short AcuraGod

Aha! Would this be one of those things that happens when the springs are starting to pop out of their recesses?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

sounds like its WHY the springs pop out.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

In that case I wonder what the OP has done to his clutch.
If the friction disc were *broken*, the rivets must have bent or broken that bind the two halves of the outer hub together. I can't see how else this could happen. David?
Seems to me it would take either an aftermarket disc -- or considerable abuse -- to get this to happen.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Fatigue and abuse are usually the culprits. But I have seen them fail driven normally?! (Customer description)
David Short Acura God

I have had this problem with my GS-R. You are right, considerable abuse (or as we GS-R drivers call it - normal abuse) does lead to this problem. In my case, it mostly cause it to be hard to shift into first/reverse as I recall.
Could also be synchros in the transmission although I think this is unlikely. Easy to check: if double clutching the upshift solves the problem then it is bad synchros. (To double clutch the upshift, shift into neutral, let the clutch out for just a second, put it back in, then shift into the higher gear. Don't give it any gas until you are get it into the next gear.)