'97 Integra Thermal Switch and Fan Relay

The car (97 Integra, 2Dr) runs fine, except that when I pulled into the garage the temp gauge shot up to 3/4. Found some cooling steam hissing out. And the fan motors (both radiator and AC) are not running. Following had been tried:

  1. Turned on A/C - both above fans ran, so that proved a. In dash fuse is good. b. Relays are working. So the most likely culprit is the thermal switch (cooling temperature sensor, near the lower coolant hose.

The questions is that I cannot disengage the connector of this sensor. It has a colorless plastic cap, and I don't see any way to remove (disengage) it to check it by ground the green wire. How to take the connector apart?

And then, If I know the location of the fan relay, I can check that too instead of at the ECT switch above. Where is this relay? Is it under the dash, or is it under the hood?

Thanks..

And, to Tegger - Thanks to the excellent FAQ. However, I need more info on reading the REMCO diagnostic under the cooling section. I am using XP-with IE 6.0, but I see all kinds of text (and codes) all over the screen. Does it require Java, VM, javascript, activeX, etc, turned on, or...

Thanks.

Reply to
Need To Know

Ant & Pat

Need To Know wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Backprobe the green wire and ground it that way.

That connector might squeeze to unplug, like one kind of headlight connector.

That document was created in Microsoft Word or something, which tends to make HTML that is hard for most browsers to handle properly. It does appear to use XML/HTML 4.01/VML (I'm not a programmer, so the details of this escape me).

I've been meaning to re-write it in plain HTML so it's more compatible.

You could try installing Firefox, which will display it properly, but only with text set to 90% zoom.

TeGGeR®