'97 TL Over heat

Hello,

I drive a '97 TL with the 2.5 engine. The car starts over heats when at extended idle or slow traffic. I usually prevent the gauge from reaching red by putting on cabin heat or stopping engine if necessary. Once traffic is moving again temp gauge moves back to normal. Revving the engine in neutral DOES NOT lower the temp gauge.

Also there are two fans behind the radiator. The driver's side fan is always on, but the passenger side fan (what's the name for this?) never comes on. Doesn't matter if I have the AC on or if the coolant is overflowing into the reserve tank. When is this fan supposed to come on, and how can I trouble shoot this?

Thanks, Todd

Reply to
bigtoddny