98 Acura fuel pump relay...

Threaded View

Where is the fuel pump relay an a 1998 Acura TL 3.2? I'm not getting
any hot at the connector at the fuel pump.

Re: 98 Acura fuel pump relay...

Not 100% sure of exact location on your car, but the
PGM-FI Main Relay (its proper name) is always under the dash
on the driver's side.

Sometimes its against the steering column, sometimes above
the parking brake handle, sometimes between the dash
and the firewall.

See here for a few tips:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html
<http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/manual_scans/accord/89-91_Accord_underdash_relays.pdf

When you first turn the key to "II", does the Check Engine
light come on for two seconds, then go off?

What's your specific problem? Will the car crank but not start?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: 98 Acura fuel pump relay...

Cranks, no start. No fuel pressure. Fuel pump doesn't run for a few
seconds with key on. Doesn't run when cranking. I'm not getting any
hot at the connector at the fuel pump with key the key is turned on.
Check engine light comes on, goes out after 2 seconds or so, then
comes on and stays on.

getting
<http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/manual_scans/accord/89-91_Accord_
underdash_relays.pdf>

Re: 98 Acura fuel pump relay...

@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Sounds like the Main Relay all right. You can fix it by re-flowing the
soldered contacts.

You know what it looks like now. When you search, you will likely only be
able to see the bottom of it, and its connector.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: 98 Acura fuel pump relay...

Do you mean the PGM-FI Main relay? I have "hot in on or start" current
on the BLK/YEL fuel pump fuse to PGM-FI Main relay wire. I have "hot
in start" current on the BLU/RED starter signal fuse to PGM-FI Main
relay wire. Nothing on the GRN/BLK PGM-FI Main relay to PCM wire.

few
any
on.
the
only be

Re: 98 Acura fuel pump relay...

Check the diagrams in
http://tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayoperation/index.html against your
findings. The text should give you what you need to know about it.

Mike

Re: 98 Acura fuel pump relay...

@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Yes, I mean the Main Relay.

First go check the diagrams referenced by Mike.

Then, rather than give wire colors (which are different for each model),
give the Main Relay terminals that correspond to what you're checking.
Those are common to all port-FI Hondas.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: 98 Acura fuel pump relay...

sheesh;he coulda pulled the main relay and resoldered it and *eliminated
it* as a problem source,by now.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Keep your smart remarks to your self and don't worry about it !!!

*eliminated

Re: 98 Acura fuel pump relay...

Tegger/ Mike, THANX ! That did it. I have a relay coming from the
dealer today. (1-16). $43.31. I'm not the best at soldering on a
board, plus the price isn't that hateful.

Read through the link:
http://tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayoperation/index.html , and found
that I wasn't getting ground through terminal 8, ECU ground, and found
there wasn't any current on terminal 7, fuel pump, with key on for a
few seconds, and nothing in start. All righty then. For my own
curiosity I took the board, with it plugged in, and bowed/flexed it
with my hand. Key on, pump runs. The board has five solder points that
have the "I got to hot look". Board was brown around them, and had the
burnt smell to it.

Car was a "no start" when I got it. After talking to her, (neighbor),
she said it was shutting off sometimes, and would not start at times
over a three week period, and at any given time, hot or cold. The
relay clicked it's three times. It had code PO 300 (misfire), and
codes PO 1201 thru 1206, (fuel/air) which I'm guessing came from this
problem. I'll drive it for awhile and check the codes again to make
sure.

Thanx again for the top notch help, Greg.

current
"hot
Main
model),