Acura 1990 Integra standard (Canadian model)

Howdy. Do I need any "special" tools to remove the ignition assembly & lock from the car. I need to remove & take to a locksmith to
replace the tumbler. I can start the car with a small screwdriver so would like to get the lock/key working again. Seems somebody tried to break into my car a few months back but I wud like to try to fix it myself. The Acua dealer wants about $250+ Too much for me!
Thanks.

I believe there's two bolts that you have to drill out (shear-head bolts),and then you need two NEW bolts to replace them. Getting the stubs out of the old lock cylinder may need vise-grips. The Haynes manual assumes you're replacing,not repairing the original lock cylinder.
Maybe you can drill and use an Easy-out to back out the bolts?
I'd check with a locksmith to be sure they CAN do the job(replace the lock tumbler) before you begin disassembly. I don't know where they'd get parts to do the job,or if you would need a new key(different from your original).
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Is the lock cylinder out of its barrel?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I'd say they succeeded in breaking in,and ruining his ignition,just not in taking the car.

IMO,the only solution to keep thieves from trying to crack open the ignition is to have one of those armored column collars that lock around the column.(alarms being good only if you are around and prepared to confront/stop the thieves once the alarm goes off;nobody else will do it.)
But AFAIK,no one makes them for the Honda/Acuras,even though they are very high theft vehicles.Strange,considering the number of them,especially the tuner cars.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes, he can do this.

It's easy. 1) Remove top cover (remove screws at bottom, play with wheel tilt until covers come off) 2) Turn key to "I" 3) Remove tiny set-screw from bottom of lock body 4) Push in tiny pin on TOP of lock body 5) While pushing pin down, pull lock out of body.
You can start your car with a small flat-blade screwdriver until you get your lock back. Look inside the lock hole. See the slot?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:44:57 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR"

Thanks everyone!!! TeGGeR makes it sounds straightforward so I think I will go for it over the long weekend.
MrMusic