Acura 1990 Integra standard (Canadian model)

Howdy. Do I need any "special" tools to remove the ignition assembly & lock from the car. I need to remove & take to a locksmith to replace the tumbler. I can start the car with a small screwdriver so would like to get the lock/key working again. Seems somebody tried to break into my car a few months back but I wud like to try to fix it myself. The Acua dealer wants about $250+ Too much for me!

Thanks.

Reply to
MrMusic

MrMusic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fe04.buzzardnews.com:

I believe there's two bolts that you have to drill out (shear-head bolts),and then you need two NEW bolts to replace them. Getting the stubs out of the old lock cylinder may need vise-grips. The Haynes manual assumes you're replacing,not repairing the original lock cylinder.

Maybe you can drill and use an Easy-out to back out the bolts?

I'd check with a locksmith to be sure they CAN do the job(replace the lock tumbler) before you begin disassembly. I don't know where they'd get parts to do the job,or if you would need a new key(different from your original).

Reply to
Jim Yanik

MrMusic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fe04.buzzardnews.com:

Is the lock cylinder out of its barrel?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97EBEC148EBA6tegger@207.14.116.130:

I'd say they succeeded in breaking in,and ruining his ignition,just not in taking the car.

IMO,the only solution to keep thieves from trying to crack open the ignition is to have one of those armored column collars that lock around the column.(alarms being good only if you are around and prepared to confront/stop the thieves once the alarm goes off;nobody else will do it.)

But AFAIK,no one makes them for the Honda/Acuras,even though they are very high theft vehicles.Strange,considering the number of them,especially the tuner cars.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Howdy guys. Thanks for the info. The lock cylinder is not out of the barrel. My locksmith "says" & I have to believe him that he can repair the actual LOCK so I can still use my existing keys.

Sounds though like the removal mite be a reach for me & he says he will not REMOVE from my Acura.

dewayne

Reply to
MrMusic

MrMusic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fe03.buzzardnews.com:

Yes, he can do this.

It's easy.

1) Remove top cover (remove screws at bottom, play with wheel tilt until covers come off) 2) Turn key to "I" 3) Remove tiny set-screw from bottom of lock body 4) Push in tiny pin on TOP of lock body 5) While pushing pin down, pull lock out of body.

You can start your car with a small flat-blade screwdriver until you get your lock back. Look inside the lock hole. See the slot?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:44:57 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®"

Thanks everyone!!! TeGGeR makes it sounds straightforward so I think I will go for it over the long weekend.

MrMusic

Reply to
MrMusic