Acura Demise?

I was recently at my local Acura dealer and it was a ghost town. Will Acura still exist a few years from now? With only one viable car, the TSX, how
long can they survive?
With all the missteps Honda has made lately. I am not sure the Acura dealers can afford to stay open. A year ago, I asked the finance manager if sales were slow and he replied "They were slow, but now they've stopped". The last time I visited the same dealer, the finance manager had left ...
I would be reluctant to purchase an Acura now.

That matches up with the reports on their recent (lack of) sales.

Latest news has it that Honda is going to throw leather, that big sound system, and that horrible beak onto the Civic and shove it into the Acura showrooms "for under $30K" as their latest move to "attract the younger crowd".
Hey, Honda--get out the tooling and rebuild the 95 Civic.

I dunno, that could be specific to your region. Or maybe your dealer got himself a reputation in town...
snipped-for-privacy@nastydesigns.com says...

The beak is one of the major reasons I'm still driving my '06 TSX.
Bob

OMFG, it's going to REPLACE the TSX???
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070570_more-details-emerge-on-2013-ac ura-ilx

The ILX looks...blandly OK.
I don't like the styling of /anything/ on the market right now. It's like everybody's making 1960 Plymouth Valiants all over again. <
http://www.valiant.org/images/first-valiant.jpg
<
http://www.valiant.org/photos/1962-v200.jpg
--
Tegger

says...

Tegger,
What platform was the RSX built on?
Thanks,
Bob

Same as the Civic.
Which is different than simply plugging a standard Civic with leather and a stereo and that horrible beak and calling it an Acura.
snipped-for-privacy@nastydesigns.com says...

That's what I thought. The article does not mention the RSX as one of the Civic-based Acuras. Also, calling the TSX long in the tooth seems silly considering that both the TL and RL have been in production longer than the TSX.
If the new vehicle is going to be significantly under $30K as the article states, and the TSX is discontinued, it seems to be a very large jump in price to go from the new vehicle to the TL.
Makes me wonder about the whole article.
Bob

It was the last one. Honda discontinued the RSX once they decided to cease selling Civic-based vehicles in the US, as I said in my other post.

The RL is being phased out. Customers are buying the TL instead.
--
Tegger

says...

So there will only be two Acura sedans; ILX and TL?
Bob

As far as I know, yes. Plus the SUVs.
I'm wondering what they're going to do with the TSX wagon. I guess that dies too.
--
Tegger

says...

I hope they're killing the ZDX. I think I've only seen one on the road.

I saw my one ZDX just two days ago.
But they're keeping the platform alive, for whatever reason, so my guess is it won't go away.
Honda truly is General Motors--even up to and including creating their own version of the Aztec.

Honda, like all automakers, only has a few platforms that everything's built on. Discontinuing a single model will not affect the platform itself, which will be used for many other vehicles.
As far as I know, all Acuras are currently built on the US-Accord platform, or the European-Accord platform.

If you're referring to styling, I can show you worse: anything from Mazda.
--
Tegger

The Integra and RSX were Civic-based. For a while there, in the US, Honda stopped selling Civic-based vehicles, which is why the RSX was discontinued.
I think one of Honda's biggest tactical mistakes in recent years has been the near-total lack of wagons in their lineups. Everybody else has a wagon, it seems, but not Honda. How many lost sales?
--
Tegger

On 12/29/11 8:32 PM, in article jdjesb$8v1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "rll_sb"

It was just announced that Honda/Acura leads all auto manufacturers in recalls with 3.8 million recalls. Sell your HMC stock.