Acura Drive Cycle and Readiness Monitors

I took my Acura NSX in for the California smog test and it passed with no problems -- except it showed several readiness monitors were "not ready".

The technician suggested driving on both the freeway and surface streets, then bringing the car back for a recheck. It didn't help so now I've been researching what appears to the magic associated with getting the car to check its own sensors.

From what I've read, it requires performing "drive cycles" and doing all sorts of slow, freeway, and stop-and-go maneuvers. This is the craziest thing.

I guess it's all because I changed a heated O2 sensor a few months ago and reset the codes.

Now I have to drive the car from a cold start and do several independent drives to try to get the readiness codes to read "ready". Some sites state you may have to drive many hundreds of miles before the engine will recheck these sensors.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

- Russ in Santa Barbara

Reply to
rll_sb

"rll_sb" wrote in news:joekvd$em5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Which monitors?

Here is something I collected of a Honda document some years ago. Should still be valid.

You have absolutely no idea, and neither do I. For all you know, it's a EVAP problem, which is common.

Several things to think of:

1) Some models and years have persistent problems with monitors that will not complete. Such models have exemptions in most jurisdictions. Also, some jurisdictions will allow one or more "incomplete" monitors.

2) Honda (Acura) issues TSBs and Service News articles when certain models have problems with monitors not completing.

3) A pending DTC will prevent a monitor from showing complete.

You need somebody with a proper OBD-II reader to scan the computer and have a look at _everything_, not just the monitors.

Reply to
Tegger

Hi Tegger,

Thanks for your notes. My responses are included.

There are three, the O2 and two others that won't test ready until the O2 sensor completes.

Thanks, I found several similar ones as well. I plan to do another test drive tomorrow.

California allows two; my NSX has three.

I have an OBD II reader and can see the not ready on the three sensors. I plan to drive it again tomorrow and real-time monitor the oxygen sensor to see if I can get it to change to ready.

Reply to
rll_sb

replying to rll_sb, kelly wrote: yes and it sucks

Reply to
kelly