Acura Integra '91 now running rough ? ideas ?

'91 Acura Integra LS 3dr 5 spd MT 1.8L

Was running fine (maybe a little off , noisy valves, not quite as peppy as younger days)

Developed a radiator leak so i changed radiator that was pretty straight forward.

While changing radiator I did oil change, filter changes, rotor replace and distributor cap replace ....

why ? because.... went to clean carbon off rotor and cap terminals and noticed the rotor was loose and a bit floppy , apparently the set screw had worked loose a tad and years of vibrations made the rotor work back and forth enough to wear it's collar down and make it flop and wiggly on the distributor shaft/spindle.

So finished all the work and car running peppier than ever on it's 5-10 minute test drive.

Next morning makes 15 minute drive to work just fine and peppy.

On way back from work car is sputtering and stumbling at lower RPM and starts. If you rev motor up alot it helps but stumbles whenever you press the gas to accelerate.

Idle seems ok till it heats up then it won't keep steady idle and trying to stall.

It is almost like it is missing fire a cylinder or not firing regularly on a cylinder but i checked all the wires and connections to cap .

Please, any ideas here I am a bit of a loss.

Thanks, robb

robb

"robb" wrote in news:m3jpt8$c7d$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net:

Is it a rough, uneven stumble? Or is it a regular, steady miss?

Is the Check Engine light on? Are any codes stored?

Did you check INSIDE the cap?

Have you ever checked the ignition timing?

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:XnsA3E15474A1CAFtegger@

208.90.168.18:

Also -- weird thought -- is the distributor loose? Or is it turned all the way to one side of its adjusting slot?

Reply to
Tegger

The distributor was tightly secured and the adjustment bolt it is situated just ever so slightly (~ 0.5 - 1.0 mm) off center of the adjustment slot .

robb

robb

"robb" wrote in news:m446kt$291i$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net:

There were three points in my reply. You have only addressed one of them.

Reply to
Tegger

Hey Tegger,

I think I responded in separate previous post but i will condense here.

Timing -- "I" have never checked. Very likely set when we took it for tuneup to local reputable import mechanic ~10 years ago.

Cap & Rotor -- That is what started this thread/mess (Replaced)

Car was running a bit rough so I went to clean carbon off rotor and cap terminals and noticed the rotor was loose and a bit floppy (surprised car was running at all), apparently the set screw had worked loose a tad ,,, and after years of vibrations the rotor worked back and forth enough to wear it's metal sleeve/collar down ????

Distributor -- adjusted slightly off center (turn cap/dist toward rear of car).

---------------------- After reading your pages i eventually replaced the original (sumitomo 1990) wires and plugs and the car ran much better after that

thanks robb

robb

"robb" wrote in news:m4coqb$1in5$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net:

Holy moly. You were using TWENTY-FOUR-year-old wires? I"m surprised the thing ran at all, especially in wet weather.

Well, I'm glad it's better.

Reply to
Tegger