ACura MDX 2007 SHAWD light & Emissions light came on at 4000 RPM

HI all, I have a 2007 MDX with 500 miles on it so far. It has the sports package (& hence the tech package). . I usually drive very calmly & sedately. Today, on the highway, I had to accelerate in the entry lane to et out of the way of a rig. The car downshifted, in auto mode, and the RPMs went over 4000 RPM. Should not be a biggie right?

Well, the SHAWD light came on. I stopped the vehicle as soon as I could, turned it off, then on again. The awd light was off, but the emissions light came on.

When driving home, I switched ot manual shift mode, and again the AWD light came on as soon as I hit over 4000 RPM. The messages center reads two codes: code 77 for the AWD and some P type code for the emissions. I talked to the dealer, and am taking it in Mondya. He says the P code is some kind of evap code. He thinks the 077 code is some kind of low voltae code.

Anyone else had these problems with their brand new MDXs?

abajaj11

Reply to
abajaj11

HI, I think it;s when the VTEC kicks in. everytime I stop the egine, the shawd alarm sensor resets. Then, if I am driving again, and the enginetouches 4000 RPM, bang the shawd sensor comes on again like clockwork. I think the switch to VTEC causes some kind of voltage drop or something. Other MDX 2007 owners have this issue?

-abajaj11

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
abajaj

The 077 is just the SHAWD's response to a powertrain DTC being set. Probably nothing wrong with the SHAWD just need to find out why the CEL light is on. Maybe as simple as the some metal flashing etc stuck in the VTEC solenoid. Good Luck

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God

Thanks for the response, David. I had a couple follow up questions to make sure I understand what you are saying so I can talk to the service people at my local acura dealer.

  1. Are you saying some metal flashing in the VTEC Solenoid is causing some powertrain DTC? And this is causing the SHAWD 077 error?
  2. The CEL light came on after the SHAWD light came on the first time. The P code returned, according to the local tech, was some kind of evap error. Is there a coonection here between the CEL light & the SHAWD code?

thanks for any help you can provide. I do feel better know> The 077 is just the SHAWD's response to a powertrain DTC being set. Probably

Reply to
abajaj

FRom a previous pot on this ng: "In plain English, your engine has a special door inside each manifold runner (there are four) that restricts the amount of air entering the cylinder. Above 5,000 RPM, these doors open, admitting more air. Your engine computer has decided that something has gone wrong with the IMRC system, and has illuminated the MIL.

That the error code starts with "P1" rather than "P0" means the code is a voluntary code that Honda put there without a diktat from the EPA. Honda included it as a diagnostics tool.

A P1078 error can be set by a number of things that control the IMRC system, anything from an IMRC valve that won't hold vacuum to a failed electrical component. And if the history of such things holds here, it's entirely possible you're seeing the error on account of something that has nothing at all to do with the IMRC system. This is why the dealer won't tell you anything. They have to snoop around and do some tests before deciding on a culprit.

The correct procedure in such cases is to reset the MIL, then just drive the car as normal. If the light comes on again with the same error, then they get serious about it. A large number of errors are transient and do not recur."

Of course, not sure why the SHAWD loight comes on at 4000 RPM.

Reply to
abajaj

replying to abajaj, Ron wrote: Hi, I have that problem, getting on the freeway had accelerate like hell and the SHAWD came on....Later, I got the light off by taking off one battery connections for a few minutes, replaced and the warning light went off and has stayed off... probably until my next hard acceleration...I have just tuned the MDX 07 a few thousand miles ago?? Runs fine...18.5 mpg, highway 70 mph....just buggy under hard acceleration?? So far I had to do this about 3 times...

Reply to
Ron