Adding After Factory radio in my 93 Legend with Bose System

Has anyone installed an after factory radio on a Legend with the bose system? I'm being told that the speakers will also need to be replaced because they have a built in amp that only works with the factory radio.
I would like to replace just the radio, with a radio that plays MP3s and keep my existing speakers.
Any help would be appreciated. Gil
On my 93 legend, I installed a JVC radio which has preamp outputs. Connected these outputs to the Legend speaker wires which connect to the built in 200 watt car amp. Simple install and works fine.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to buy a radio with pre-amp outputs.
Gil

there are two different Bose radios in Legends, the standard and the premium. If you have the premium Bose system, the speakers are 2 ohm and you have to get around the Bose amp.
If you have the premium system, its usually replace all of it or none of it.
How do I tell if the Bose installed is the premium or the standard radio?
The output of the amp will be hooked to the speakers. So I don't think it would matter if the speakers are 2 ohms, since the new radio will be hooked to the inputs on the factory amps which usually have high impedance inputs.
Gil

it.
Just make sure that the preamp outputs on the radio you buy are controlled by the radio's volume and tone controls and are not "raw" outputs.