Bad Alternator?

I have an 1993 Acura intergra. I am an idiot when it comes to cars but I have deceide to try fix things myself versus going to an mechanic.

My problem is that when I go to start my car it wont always start. This is especially the problem if the car has been sitting over night. When I insert the key into the ignition and I get power to the car but when I go to ignite the car it will not turn over. At which point all power to my car will shut off. After a few minutes power will return. Upon doing this several times my car will eventually start. Once the car starts it runs fine and if I turn the car off for a few hours usually there is not a problem in turning it backon. I have also noticed in the last couple of months that when I am idiling the lights are not as bright as when I am running the car. Is it a bad alternator.

If it is an alternator is something that a beginner could replace?

Reply to
jtay

"jtay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Alternator has nothing to do with this. If it did, the charge light would be on.

I'm betting a bad battery that won't hold a charge. However...

Corroded connections at battery and/or starter can also cause this. Remove cable ends, clean, reinstall.

Don't forget the battery ground on the firewall between the headlights and the battery.

Also check the engine ground cable from the firewall to the valve cover.

Remove cables from battery and place voltmeter between terminals after attempting to start. You should see 12V or very close to that. If you see

10V or so, the battery is bad.

If all grounds and cables are clean and problem persists, the battery is bad.

Reply to
TeGGeR®