Brake pads/ rotors for 2000 TL

I have a vague recollection from a couple of years ago that Acura changed the composition of the brake pads for the 2000 TL. At the time, they also
said the rotors should be replaced when the pads were changed to the new composition ones.
I am just now coming up on needing to replace my front pads. I have not experienced warping of the original rotors (though I do have to occasionally make a hard stop to scrape the crud off of them - symptom is similar to warpage but goes away after a hard stop). I would like to leave well enough alone under the philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
So, I have two questions to the group:
1. Has anyone used the new pads without changing the rotors also?
2. If so, how did it work out?
Pls reply to the group.