Brake servicing FAQ page update...

Page 1 of 2
I have a (possible) confession to make. It's lengthy, but please read it.
I have heretofore been advocating the use of copious quantities of anti-
seize in certain locations during brake servicing in order to prevent corrosion and seizure of various parts.
Since the government banned asbestos as a friction material (~1995), I have had, off and on, problems with glaze on my rotors. Glaze is a smeary, patchy, durable black substance, which no solvent can dissolve. You can't even sand it off. The only way of getting rid of it is to machine the rotors.
Why was this happening? And why so intermittently? Over the last few years or so (I'm a slow learner...), I've been observing other people's brakes through the open-spoke wheels that are common these days, and have noticed that just about nobody has glaze, just lonely ol' me. Obviously it must be something I'm doing wrong.
Then, this last weekend (Mother's Day weekend), I decided to do my annual brake "spring cleaning". While pulling things apart, sanding, greasing, chopping, slicing, dicing and julienning, I noticed the rotors had glazed up, AGAIN! Something made me study the pads closely. To my surprise and alarm, I noticed the pads showed signs of oil seepage and absorption. The absorption areas closely coincided with the glaze on the rotors. The absorption areas also coincided with where I had been most lavish with the anti-seize grease. Worse, the rear disc brakes showed the same symptoms.
It appears on deeper investigation that anti-seizes of all kinds contain very light oils that creep readily when heated. And boy do they creep. This is only a theory right now, but I'm suspecting the oil soaks into the friction material, softening it so it smears on the rotors.
I replaced all the pads and rotors this spring with brand-new OEM. ($$$) The ONLY grease I put this time was under the pad slide shims, between them and the mount bracket, and sparingly, at that. And this time I used a high-temp silicone lube, Sil-Glyde.
In the fall of 2007, I'll see what the rotors look like and report back here.
If anybody has been following my advice had has also experienced rotor glaze, please let me know.
This page has been updated to reflect my new findings. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes2.html
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

two comments!
1. that's why you've never experienced brake judder! 2. based on that sil-glyde component list, there's not much high temperature resistance about it.
if you want "real deal" brake lube, go for molykote m77. and if you find an economic source of it, let me know!

I have, actually. Patchy glaze will cause judder just like warped rotors!

I was VERY sparing with the silicone. If it creeps, I'll know.
Sil-Glyde does not creep or melt at 150F, though, so I might get lucky here.

I see what you mean.
I'm getting told by independent distributors that the smallest container Dow sells is a 33oz tub...at $247 Cdn.
My local Acura dealer can sell me a 75g tube (2.5 oz) for $66. They get their M77 directly from Honda.
OUCH OUCH OUCH!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:23:41 +0000, Tegger wrote:

http://www.usededmonton.com/classified-ad/678078&category=miscellaneous-for-sale
wrote in

Cool. But that can looks like it's kinda old.
Sure it's "new" government surplus, but the government got rid of it for a reason...
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:23:07 +0000, Tegger wrote:

That stuff is harder than HELL to find, and doesn't seem to be sold in the US!
Guess I'll stick to my off the rack AutoZone brake grease!
wrote in

It is. Click here: <http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?country=USA&R%EN
Click on "Find a Distributor" and choose your state.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the $66 2.5oz tube. I feel the same sort of awe I felt when I bought my first genuine Snap-On wrench: Wowwwww...the REAL thing...
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Thu, 17 May 2007 18:46:59 +0000, Tegger wrote:

Everytime I try to go to dowcorning.com, I get a "server error"! WTF?

wrote in

Try the simple approach, grasshopper.
http://www.dowcorning.com /
Navigate to the holy M77 page from there.
Does that help?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Ha! Here's a life time supply of the stuff...
http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productidA0&Tab=Vendors
JT

<http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productidA0&Tab=Vendors
Waaait a minute. That site lists a 496 gram tub. That's just over a pound, or 17.5 oz.
For.... wait for it..........
$2,076.96
TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!
Hey man, I've got better things to do with two thousand dollars. Cocaine is probably cheaper.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Dude! One+ lb buckets! I see it's a whole lot cheaper if you buy three....
Mike

Websites : http://www.4pCorporation.com http://www.YourBabysName.com http://www.TeluguWebsite.com
Tegger wrote:

for brake rubbers, according to this link http://www.dowcorning.com/content/auto/new_lubrication_chassis_brake.asp?DCWS=Automotive&DCWSSmolykote 33 can be used for brake rubbers. which is just as well since i've used it may times in the past!
anyway, the point is that it's relatively readily available and relatively affordable for the true silicone brake grease addicts.
On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:22:40 -0700, jim beam

When using Honda OEM pads they come with a small packet of molykote m77.

it.
Not all of them. Mine do not.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Actually if you drive your vehicle at highway speeds while appyling the brakes lightly, the glaze will be worn off the pads/shoes and drums or rotors. Don't do it for an extended amount of time, just apply the brakes (lightly) for short periods of time or else you will overheat the components. This does work and is easier and less expensive then turning the rotors and replacing the pads.
Brian Smith wrote:

I gotta wonder about people who drive a lot in mountainous areas. I'll bet the guys at the brake shops see all kinds of 'symptoms' ! !
'Curly'

I run a fleet of refuse and recycling trucks that are in the urban area, except for once or twice a day for a run of 10 kilometres round trip. They do nothing but stop and go forty to fifty feet all day long. The brake rotors/ drums and pads/shoes become glazed within a week or two, it's far more affordable and no down time occurs when using the method I described earlier.
On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:12:24 +0000, Brian Smith wrote:

Nah,I come up to stop signs at high speeds and then slam on the brakes. This keeps them from glazing, too... ;)