Brake servicing FAQ page update...

Page 2 of 2

Tried that. Doesn't work if the pads are bad.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Interesting.

I tried and failed to take descriptive photos of my rear discs, whose friction surfaces resemble the dark gray coating worn by a rifle barrel.
The fronts had patchy glaze, where the outline of the pads was imprinted over and over again in an irregular pattern around the disc, some lighter, some heavier.
I had some serious front brake vibration. A check with a dial gauge showed the discs to be dead true, and yet I had a high-speed vibration. The only conclusion I can come to at this point (surely to be opposed by some others...) is that the glaze caused sufficient frictional differences as to cause steering wheel wobble ("vibration").
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

be in no doubt, if you have that kind of surface contamination, that can /definitely/ cause vibration.
Tegger wrote:

I remember years ago when a friend had an obvious rotor pulse. Machining the rotors made no difference. Changing pads and replacing rotors still made no difference.
The whole problem disapeared when he bought a new set of tires...
<shrug>
JT
(Who thinks gearheading leads to unbalanced thinking...sometimes.)
What components do you put the anti-seize on? I only put this on the two caliper bolts. For the shims of the brake pads I only use the Molykote which is supplied with the OEM pads. I have yet to have this happen on my rotors and they have 116k miles on them.
Nick

Nick <> wrote in

I hope you don't mean the ones that have the rubber boots.

And as I keep pointing out, not all models' pads come with shims or Molykote.

Good for you.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Yep those are the ones. I find it very difficult to get the bolts off without applying it.

Nick <> wrote in

Really? I wonder why? In sixteen years I've never had a problem with removing the bolts from the pins. Usually the problem is removing the pins from the pad mount bracket, that being unrelated to the use of anti-seize.
Anti-seizes are petroleum-based and will rot your rubber pin boots.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Sat, 19 May 2007 01:05:09 +0000, Tegger wrote:

(Now he tells me...I use it on the slides...)
I only apply it to the threaded section of the bolt and even then it is just a thin layer, besides even if they rot, they cost so little and are easy to replace. I will keep in in mind.
Thanks, Nick

<Nick> wrote in message

Where do you find replacements?
From your local Honda/Acura dealer.
On Sat, 19 May 2007 05:07:51 -0700, "Michael Pardee"