Car Stalled and will not start (1987 Acura RS)

Recently, when driving home from work my car stalled. When I pulled over in a parking lot and tried to start the vehicle again it cranked a couple of times and then the starter just spins. I was a little low on gas so I
put some gas in the tank. It still won't even turn the engine over and when I try and start it I just get a "whirring noise". Any suggestions?? Thanks

Possible broken starter bendix.(spins out to engage flywheel to crank motor) Possible broken timing belt.(possible expensive valve damage depending on model)
The "stalling" indicates a broken timing belt.
Stating the model and year of car would help,too,when seeking advice.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I agree - the big question is: has the timing belt been changed in the last 100K miles or so? If not, it is a big suspect.
Otherwise, the question is "why did the engine quit when it had been running, and now the starter seems to spin?" If not the timing belt, I vote for the battery being too low to engage the starter or to keep the engine running. Charging or swapping the battery is a good place to start with that.
But before going that far, watch the alternator/PS/AC belts to see if they also move when trying to start the car and getting the whirring noise. If they are moving, the starter is turning the crank but the valves aren't keeping up... bad timing belt. I hope not.
Mike
Thank you guys for the feedback!! In response to stating the year and model I put it in the subject line, might have been overlooked. There is a good possibility that it is the timing belt. I bought the car used at 170k miles and now it is at 188k and I don't know if the belt was ever replaced. Going to try and open the oil cap and crank the car to see if the cam/valves are moving.

Remove the oil filler cap and peer inside. Have friend (or friendly enemy) try to crank engine. See if camshaft is revolving. If, not, BROKEN TIMING BELT!
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ