Car vibrates when brakes applied and in gear

Hi,

92 Teg. When I come to an intersection and stop, my car vibrates. Vibration seems to be affected if I press my brake down harder and then release it slightly. When in neutral or park, no vibration at all. My idle is around 950 rpm.

First thing that comes to mind is the motor mount, but if it's the motor mount, wouldn't the vibration also happen when in neutral or park?

Any other possibilities?

Thanx for any advice.

Reply to
Hootie

Did more testing....

Car vibrates when the brake is being applied...rotor not moving, I'm at a complete stop and in gear...I press on the brake and while I'm pressing the car begins to vibrate....once I've completely pressed the brake, then the vibration seems to lessen....then when I release on the brake, the vibration starts again.

Reply to
Hootie

"Hootie" wrote in news:0dxOf.105161$H%4.82077@pd7tw2no:

How cold is it where you live?

When you step on the brake, does the idle go down a bit, then climb back up to where it was?

What's your idle speed in Drive?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

That sounds like a leaky brake booster - when you press on the brake hard, it consumes vacuum instead of holding it. That can be verified by disconecting and plugging the vacuum line to the booster and repeating the test. If no vibration, the booster is defective. What you want to do about it, if anything at this point, is a different question.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

You have a motor mount that is not isolating the engine vibrations. Check the rear mount by having someone pry up on the rear of the engine with the car idling in gear to see if the vibs go away. Some minimal vibration is normal on the Int with AT while in gear.

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God

Yeah the engine looks like it's vibrate more near the rear (close to the driver)....my entire exhaust system is vibrating quite a bit. Must be the rear motor mount.

I'll have to get it checked out.

Thanx again.

Reply to
Hootie

The central question is whether the vibration is just the normal engine vibration - which is a mount issue - or if pressing harder on the brake is causing a misfire and making the engine vibrate abnormally. If the vibration gets bad as you press the brake harder even though the car wasn't rolling initially it isn't the mount doing that. Otherwise, probably the rear mount.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

In Park, the vibration worsens when I release the brakes. When I press on the brake it still vibrates but when I release the brakes it worsens. IDLE goes up and down slightly but always hovers around 850 RPM. My entire muffler is vibrating alot so I assume that my entire exhaust system is vibrating as well.

Reply to
Hootie