Change hood of Acura Legend

I have a 94 Acura Legend and recently some debris fell on my hood and it is damaged. I had the car checked by the mechanic and he concurred that the car is running fine and there is no engine damage. I am considering replacing the hood myself. I don't have any experience with this sort of thing and was wondering if any one can shed some light on how difficult it might be to do it on my own.

Thanks RR

Reply to
ranjithrs

Hood replacement is not hard if you have a helper, but a real tough job without a helper. Two helpers are even better; they can hold the hood while you get the bolts out and in.

Put pads on the fenders before loosening the old hood, and lower the new one very gently so you can check the alignment. The adjustments are obvious enough (the way you move the hood before retightening the bolts) but it will take a bunch of shift-and-try's to get it right. If the fenders aren't padded the hood will scar the paint before you are done.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:4a6dnas7p_nJk3zZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Tighten the bolts snug but not too tight,then you can use a rubber mallet to shift the hood until it's right,then tighten them fully.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Mike,

Thanks for your comments and advice. I will certainly have 2 people help me fix the hood. Do you have any recommendation on a good place to order the hood?

Thanks RR

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
ranjithrs

"ranjithrs" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

A local wreckers. Or

Buy new OEM or used OEM only.

DO NOT buy an aftermarket hood. If you do, you will be amazed and astonished at the obscenely abysmal quality of aftermarket body parts. Aftermarket body parts are frightfully awful. Bad, I tell you, BAD. BAD BAD BAD. Worse than that, even.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

In addition, it is possible to get a hood from a wrecker that is painted the same as the rest of the car. Other sources will get you a hood with primer.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee