Check engine light for 98 Honda Civic

Does anyone know the key sequence to turn off my check engine light for my 98 Civic? When I bought the car it did not come wth the owners manual. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
r3kriese

snipped-for-privacy@wmich.edu wrote in news:92657c6e-6115-44c9-9412- snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

you need an OBD-II scan tool to clear it. That way,you read whatever code it set and can address the problem the CEL is indicating.

Autozone will read the codes for free.Don't know if they will clear the CEL,though;they didn't on my Nissan SpecV.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

-----------------------

Make sure the person who reads the code WRITES IT DOWN before clearing it.

Your owner's manual is online here:

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

snipped-for-privacy@wmich.edu wrote in news:92657c6e-6115-44c9-9412- snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Pull the Backup (or Backup/Hazard) fuse for 30 seconds. It's in the under- hood fuse box.

BUT...RECORD THE ERROR CODES FIRST!!! They are telling you something.

Since you need a scan tool to read the codes, and since a scan tool can also clear the codes, and since AutoZone and PartSource will read the codes for free, you might be better off to go that route.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@wmich.edu =E6=8F=90=E5=88=B0:

Check engine light tells you something wrong with the engine, you=20 normally don't just turn it off, you send car to the garage to fix the=20 problem.

There is no easy way to turn off check engine light (this is not the=20 engine maintenance light), there are two ways to turn it off.

1) As Tegger said, work with fuse box. 2) Disconnect one of the battery cables (suggest negative cable) for a=20 few minutes then reconnect.

For the 2) method, you need re-enter the audio code to activate the car=20 radio.

Both methods just clear the computer's memory, so if your engine does=20 have a problem, the check engine light will come back.

Reply to
大漢民族