clicking sound coming from under the hood

I知 definately not a car guy. Recently my 98 integra gsr is making a cranking noise on the left under the hood. I知 pretty sure it has someth8ing to do with the fan belt but not really sure. The car
still seems to be running normal besides the clicking cranking sound. I was hoping somebody would have an idea of what might be going on so I can be somewhat educated when i try to fix it. Thanks

there is no "fan belt",the fans are driven with electric motors.

"clicking,cranking sound"??
"cranking" is the sound your engine makes when you first turn the ignition key to "start",but before it fires up and begins running.
"Clicking" is an entirely different sound.

there's a TIMING belt,which has to be changed at about 60K miles(see owners manual),if it skips a notch or breaks,you could severely damage your motor.
Then there's the accessory drive belt,on the DRIVER's side of the motor(right side from the front of the car),that drives the power steering pump and alternator. That could be a bad bearing on the PS pump or alternator.
Perhaps you need your valve clearances adjusted? SOON,if not ASAP. (if it's the valves clicking)
Then,the distributor is on the left side of the motor;that could have worn bearings.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
integraguy wrote:

If it's the ABS motor charging the pressure up, you'd probably only hear it when you accelerate. I think it's mentioned in the owner's manual. It would run for a few seconds at a time and then stop. Tell us more.
'Curly'