Clutch Problem

I have a 91 integra and just the other day while driving home from work I was trying to change from 3rd gear to 4th gear but I couldnít. I pulled over to the side, put my shifter to neutral, restarted the
car and tried to put it in 1st gear but couldnít. As a matter of fact I couldnít get it into any of the gears. I turned the engine off, tried to put it into gear and it works. I started the car in 1st gear and it works but I couldnít shift it to neutral or any of the gears, the shifter was locked......can someone tell me what the problem might be?
Thanks
‚úĖ

A spring has popped out of the clutch friction disc. You need a new clutch.
--
TeGGeRģ

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
‚úĖ
"" wrote:
> [...]
the EXACT same thing happened to my 88 prelude less than a month ago, and tregger is right, your clutch is none existant... itís gone, donít even bother trying to think that we may be wrong or you donít need a new clutch... I hate to say it man, but youíre either sinking a lot of money into an older ride, or itís time for you to buy a new one! so either :( or :)... but probably mostly :(
‚úĖ

Friends of the family had an Acura (don't know model/year, but it was their "beater" car) that had the same sort of failure but it turned out the clutch didn't have springs - it had a rubber damper. The rubber had crumbled and jammed the clutch. Same concept and same outlook/fix, though. New clutch. (Assuming the clutch pedal feels normal and doesn't just sink to the floor with a gentle push, which would point to the clutch master/slave cylinders. Cheaper and easier in that case.)
Mike
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
On 21 Jul 2005 23:39:39 -0400, tlsmooth

Emergency driving to the garage: Twice the cable clutch of my Porsche broke and I was able to drive the car to the garage by starting the engine in first gear and change gears without clutching. Once the speed of the car matches the rpm of the engine we can change gears without any problem.Before stopping at the lights we must change to neutral and start the car in first gear again.
Vlad
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

How do you change from neutral to 1st gear without the clutch?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You crank the starter with it already in first gear. It's a standard 'get you home' for when the clutch cable snaps.
--
Dan.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

The clutch safety switch normally watches the pedal, so it doesn't interfere with starting in gear - just press the useless clutch pedal and start away.
I once drove a load of Boy Scouts over 100 miles home from a hike with a broken clutch cable. Thank God for freeways!
Mike
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

What he was doing was TURNING OFF the engine at each stop,and restarting while in gear,again and again and again..... Seems rough on the car,I think I'd rather call for a tow.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's exactly it - stopping is not good. But with careful planning it is possible to minimize the number of starts. I only had to do it twice on the 100 mile trip - the first time and once more when we reached a congested intersection with a long light. Once in Phoenix I was able to keep to the right lane and time my approach to the lights. It really isn't as bad as it sounds.
Mike
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:38:32 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

It was the standard way of starting a Jeep in the army and changing gears with the car moving, the passengers don't even notice.
Another interesting thing if you want maximum power when changing gears is to place the accelerator pedal on the floor and then changing gears without lifting the accelerator pedal. I tried this on my Integra 91 but the clutch didn't engage. The engine just revved up to 8000 rpm , in gear and with the clutch pedal, up. It use to work on my previous cars
Vlad
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"" wrote:
> > wrote: > > > >> > >>How do you change from neutral to 1st gear without the > clutch? > > > > You crank the starter with it already in first gear. It's a > standard > > 'get you home' for when the clutch cable snaps. > > -- > > Dan. > The clutch safety switch normally watches the pedal, so it > doesn't interfere > with starting in gear - just press the useless clutch pedal > and start away. > > I once drove a load of Boy Scouts over 100 miles home from a > hike with a > broken clutch cable. Thank God for freeways! > > Mike
The clutch safety switch normally watches the pedal, so it doesnít interfere with starting in gear
exactly right..... but yea, any shift afterwards is pretty much a "power" shift, and depending... it can get ugly... my car just barely made it into the shop... and my breaks failed while I was driving my car this way, talk about a nightmare... canít believe iím alive.
‚úĖ