Clutch Problem

I have a 91 integra and just the other day while driving home from work I was trying to change from 3rd gear to 4th gear but I couldn?t. I pulled over to the side, put my shifter to neutral, restarted the car and tried to put it in 1st gear but couldn?t. As a matter of fact I couldn?t get it into any of the gears. I turned the engine off, tried to put it into gear and it works. I started the car in 1st gear and it works but I couldn?t shift it to neutral or any of the gears, the shifter was locked......can someone tell me what the problem might be?

Thanks

Reply to
tlsmooth

tlsmooth wrote in news:1_633807 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

A spring has popped out of the clutch friction disc. You need a new clutch.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"" wrote: > tlsmooth wrote in > news:1_633807 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com: > > > I have a 91 integra and just the other day while driving > home from > > work I was trying to change from 3rd gear to 4th gear but I > couldn?t. > > I pulled over to the side, put my shifter to neutral, > restarted the > > car and tried to put it in 1st gear but couldn?t. As a > matter of fact > > I couldn?t get it into any of the gears. I turned the > engine off, > > tried to put it into gear and it works. I started the car > in 1st gear > > and it works but I couldn?t shift it to neutral or any of > the gears, > > the shifter was locked......can someone tell me what the > problem might > > be? > > > > > A spring has popped out of the clutch friction disc. You need > a new clutch. > > -- > TeGGeR® > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

the EXACT same thing happened to my 88 prelude less than a month ago, and tregger is right, your clutch is none existant... it?s gone, don?t even bother trying to think that we may be wrong or you don?t need a new clutch... I hate to say it man, but you?re either sinking a lot of money into an older ride, or it?s time for you to buy a new one! so either :( or :)... but probably mostly :(

Reply to
ekimevil

Friends of the family had an Acura (don't know model/year, but it was their "beater" car) that had the same sort of failure but it turned out the clutch didn't have springs - it had a rubber damper. The rubber had crumbled and jammed the clutch. Same concept and same outlook/fix, though. New clutch. (Assuming the clutch pedal feels normal and doesn't just sink to the floor with a gentle push, which would point to the clutch master/slave cylinders. Cheaper and easier in that case.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Emergency driving to the garage: Twice the cable clutch of my Porsche broke and I was able to drive the car to the garage by starting the engine in first gear and change gears without clutching. Once the speed of the car matches the rpm of the engine we can change gears without any problem.Before stopping at the lights we must change to neutral and start the car in first gear again.

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

Vlad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How do you change from neutral to 1st gear without the clutch?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You crank the starter with it already in first gear. It's a standard 'get you home' for when the clutch cable snaps.

Reply to
Dean Dark

The clutch safety switch normally watches the pedal, so it doesn't interfere with starting in gear - just press the useless clutch pedal and start away.

I once drove a load of Boy Scouts over 100 miles home from a hike with a broken clutch cable. Thank God for freeways!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

What he was doing was TURNING OFF the engine at each stop,and restarting while in gear,again and again and again..... Seems rough on the car,I think I'd rather call for a tow.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The clutch safety switch normally watches the pedal, so it doesn?t interfere with starting in gear

exactly right..... but yea, any shift afterwards is pretty much a "power" shift, and depending... it can get ugly... my car just barely made it into the shop... and my breaks failed while I was driving my car this way, talk about a nightmare... can?t believe i?m alive.

Reply to
ekimevil

That's exactly it - stopping is not good. But with careful planning it is possible to minimize the number of starts. I only had to do it twice on the

100 mile trip - the first time and once more when we reached a congested intersection with a long light. Once in Phoenix I was able to keep to the right lane and time my approach to the lights. It really isn't as bad as it sounds.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It was the standard way of starting a Jeep in the army and changing gears with the car moving, the passengers don't even notice.

Another interesting thing if you want maximum power when changing gears is to place the accelerator pedal on the floor and then changing gears without lifting the accelerator pedal. I tried this on my Integra 91 but the clutch didn't engage. The engine just revved up to 8000 rpm , in gear and with the clutch pedal, up. It use to work on my previous cars

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad