Clutch replacement on 1990 Integra RS?

Hi,

I'm about to have the clutch replaced on my 1990 Acura Integra RS. What

*else* besides the clutch may have to be replaced or repaired if the clutch is bad? I think the mechanic I spoke with yesterday mentioned something about *linkage* inside the transmission that could need repair.

The car has just over 275K on it. I am the only owner of the car. I may have had the clutch replaced once before, a long time ago, maybe more than

10 years ago--as part of a scheduled maintenance routine. But not in the last five years or so.

Due to lack of money, etc., I haven't been able to have the repair done till now. Another mechanic told me 1.5 years ago that the clutch was "going," but the car was still very drivable until a week ago. Now the car gets stuck in neutral as I attempt to shift gears, and when I'm in city traffic I sometimes have to pull off to the side, turn the car off, and then shift back into gear after I turn the car back on.

I know this repair is expensive and lengthy, and costs just about what the car is worth. However, I cannot afford to buy another car just now. The way I look at it, my present car is "the devil I know," and I'm better off having it repaired than spending money buying another car of questionable reliability.

I'm taking the car to the mechanic Monday morning. Ideally he can get it fixed so I can safely drive to work late Monday night. What other clutch-related components might be broke, and make this a two or three day job?

Thanks,

Jean in Norfolk, VA

Reply to
Jean Barto

Jean Barto wrote in news:C7C2705D.4740C% snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

"Could", yeah, but not likely.

More likely is that somebody's gojng to neglect to install a new release bearing, or will fail to apply a sufficient amount of the /proper/ grease to the release-bearing fork tines.

The clutch on this model is worn-out when you have 1/4" of threaded rod showing above the adjusting nut.

I'll bet the friction disc is sticking on the input shaft splines. That's what happened to me, but that was after 255,000 miles.

Here's my story:

That's part of my rationale for keeing my own '91 Integra.

It's unlikely much will be found wrong outside of rust on the splines. My mechanic tells me you usually don't even need to resurface the flywheel.

If you have the money, I'd recommend OEM parts. At the very least, an OEM release bearing.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for your input! I really like your website and the pictures of the flywheel. I don't understand much about what's going on with all of it. I imagine if the flywheel is worn like in the pictures, it has to be replaced?

I'm at least *a little* smarter about what will be involved in the repair than previously.

I apologize if I've misnamed the component shown in your pictures. I can drive cars, I don't *do* cars like you do!

Jean B.

Reply to
Jean Barto

Jean Barto wrote in news:C7C2E90E.47579% snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

The part in the pictures is called the "friction disc". It--and the "pressure plate" that mates up with it--are meant to be replaced when the friction disc wears out. Both those parts are bolted to the flywheel, which normally does not itself need attention when the clutch is replaced.

An ordinary "clutch replacement" involves the changing of

1) the friction disc, 2) the pressure plate, and 3) the release bearing.
Reply to
Tegger

Don't know Acura, but there is also probably a "nose bushing" that holds the transmission shaft concentric to the flywheel. That should also be replaced. BF

Reply to
BF

"BF" wrote in news:860f5$4b9e2e7e$4831cbd9$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET:

Yes, you are absolutely right. I had forgot that part, which is called a "pilot bearing". And it should /definitely/ be replaced when the clutch is replaced.

Amend my list, therefore, to this:

1) the friction disc, 2) the pressure plate, 3) the release bearing, and 4) the pilot bearing.
Reply to
Tegger